girl in the snow
girl in the snow
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

7 Items to Keep in Your Car During Winter From A Coloradan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

There have been multiple times in my driving experience that I wish someone had given me a list of items to keep in my car, especially during winter. Well, luckily for you, I’m doing just that. I am from Colorado, which means I know a thing or two about driving in winter conditions, and I’ve learned what to keep in my car because of that. Here are some tools I suggest keeping in your car in case of those emergencies.

1. Kitty Litter and a small shovel

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about getting a car stuck is that kitty litter is your best friend. Although it sounds weird, kitty litter, or sand if you prefer, will assist you in gaining traction to get out of your parking spot or the snowbank you so skillfully got your car stuck in. The shovel comes in handy too because it allows you to remove some of the snow that’s gotten packed and smoothed down behind your tires. After you scoop out some of the snow, put a little bit of kitty litter or sand behind each of your tires and you’re good to go. 

2. Jumper Cables

I’ll admit, I’ve left my hazards on while I thought I was going to quickly run inside to do something only to come back thirty minutes later to a dead car. After these experiences, I’ve learned to get a pair of jumper cables for my car. These are extremely helpful because there are times when you need them and there could be times where you need to help someone jump their car. And quite frankly, they aren’t that expensive.

3. Ice Scrapers

So, I’ll be the first to say, I’ve broken an ice scrape or two. In my defense though, they are plastic, going up against some pretty tough ice. I’ve learned that since ice scrapers can be prone to breaking easily, I’ve started to keep two in my car. It does seem a bit excessive, however, if you’ve barely started to scrape your windshield and you break your ice scrape, you’re kind of screwed on trying to drive, that’s why I recommend having two in your car just in case. Another thing you could do is turn your car on to warm up and on the defrost on your windshield too. 

4. A blanket and snacks

If you haven’t gotten the chance to buy yourself some jumper cables for your car and you’re stranded in the middle of nowhere in a dead car, make sure you have a blanket. It can get cold if you’re waiting for someone to come rescue you, the blanket will come in handy by keeping you slightly warmer than if you didn’t have one. Just be careful not to fall asleep while waiting for help, you don’t want to be scared awake. I’d also recommend having some sort of shelf-stable food item in your car in case you must wait a couple of hours, that way you won’t go hungry while waiting. 

5. Washer fluid

During wintertime, your windshield tends to get VERY dirty. I would suggest keeping an extra bottle of washer fluid in your car in case you run out. Luckily this stuff is cheap. I would also say that you should pick one up that is rated for -25℉ which means that it won’t instantly freeze up on you, it will also help get rid of some of the ice that built up on your windshield. 

6. First Aid Kit

I will say, I am very prone to injury so a first aid kit is a must for me. It doesn’t have to be a big one, but at least one that has the essentials, band-aids, gauze, pain meds, and alcohol wipes. I would recommend different sizes of band-aids too because you probably wouldn’t want to put a giant rectangle around a tiny finger. 

7. Power bank

My number one fear is that my phone will die when I’m stranded in the middle of nowhere and need it the most. For this very reason, I keep a power bank that is charged in my car. This is a smart item to have in your car in case you must wait for hours before someone comes to rescue you. It also allows you to play games on your phone while you wait. 

Now that you have some tools to keep in your car, if you ever find yourself stuck on the side of the road, you should be okay. Although it may seem scary, if you do find yourself in an emergency, remember to remain calm, take deep breaths, and think things through before reacting. Stay safe out there and stay warm!

All pictures provided by: Eleanor Votodian

Just a 20 something freshman buzzing her way through life. *insert cute and inspirational quote here*
Her Campus at SAU