5 Types of People in Every Group Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Week 7 is here, and you know what that means? The midterms and projects are coming. This is not a drill. I repeat, THE MIDTERMS AND PROJECTS ARE COMING. To make things even better, these projects aren’t just any projects…they’re group projects. In celebration of all of the glorious group projects, I would like to present to you: 5 Types of People in Every Group Project.

1. The Over-Achiever

We’ve all seen this group member before. She’s the “let’s start this project the day it was assigned” kind of partner, and the “I will not settle for an A…an A+ is the only way to go.” You may be one yourself. While this may cause a bit of a power struggle, there’s always a bright side. No matter how stressful the project may be, and no matter how late you’ll be forced to work on it, you’ll end up with a good grade.

2. The “My Way or the Highway

Picture this: You’re in the library with your group figuring out every aspect of your project when you realize something. Every idea that you’ve given has been shot down. Not only have all of your ideas been shot down, but the majority of ideas have been shot down–all except for one person’s. Meet perhaps the most annoying group member…the “My Way or the Highway.” In the mind of this group member, anything you say is right and anything anyone else says is wrong. Forget the group aspect, because this project is all about them. 

3. The Go With the Flow-er

You know what I’m talking about here. While this group member may come to every meeting, he or she isn’t going to have much to say. When ideas are flowing around the room, only expect to hear a “I’m good with whatever,” or an “I’m not really sure what we should do. I’m sure you guys have better ideas,” out of this one. This teammate may do what he or she is told, but don’t expect anything other than that.

4. The “I’ll Get it Done Eventually”

Even though you may be the type of student who wants to get her life together ahead of time, as well as her project, not everyone is like that. Meet the “I’ll get it done eventually” partner. It’s the night before a project is due and you still have one partner who hasn’t put in his or her section. A text is sent only to receive the response, “Don’t worry, man. I’ll put it in eventually.” Two hours before the project is due? Still nothing. Finally with minutes to spare, the final piece of the project is complete. Did your group member finally pull his or her weight? Yes. Did it cause a few gray hairs? Double yes.

5. The One You Forgot Was in Your Group

The night before a big project is due, you get a text from a number you don’t recognize. “Hey, what part of the project do you want me to do?” This is a classic move made only by the partner you forgot was in your group. Other tactics include never adding to the Google Document, frequently skipping class and still expecting an A on the project. May you never have to encounter what may be the worst group partner ever.

No matter what your major may be, group projects are inevitable–and so are the annoying group members that come along with them. So whether you have one group project to tackle this week or four, may the group partner odds be ever in your favor.

I'm Amanda, a junior PR major at St. Ambrose. I enjoy long walks on the beach and queso.
Her Campus at SAU