5 Non-Fiction Reads for Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

If you’re looking to learn more about the impact of sexual assault and the journeys of survivors this Sexual Assault Awareness Month, here are five compelling non-fiction books to consider. Not sure if you have the time for a long non-fiction read? Start with “Not That Bad” or “Unbelievable” for an accessible and gripping narrative that reads quickly.

Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture by Roxanne Gay
A collection of essays that confront and challenge rape culture. It provides a powerful exploration of the widespread impact of sexual violence on individuals and society.

The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk M.D
Delves into the intricate connection between trauma and the brain. It offers insights into how understanding this link can lead to healing and recovery.

Unbelievable by T. Christian Miller and Ken Armstrong
Investigates the true story of a young woman’s harrowing experience reporting her rape, highlighting systemic failures within the criminal justice system and the power dynamics survivors face.

MeToo and Literature Studies: Reading, Writing, and Teaching About Sexual Violence and Rape Culture by Mary K. Holland and Heather Hewett

Examines the intersection of the #MeToo movement and literature. It provides an insightful analysis of how narratives of sexual violence are portrayed, interpreted, and taught in schools and society.

Whatever Gets You Through: 12 Survivors on Life After Sexual Assault by Stacey May Fowles and Jen Sookfong Lee

Firsthand accounts from twelve survivors of sexual assault that offer raw and honest reflections on their journeys toward healing and resilience after experiencing trauma.

Hello, I'm a junior forensic psychology major at St. Ambrose University. I enjoy golfing, reading, baking, and just about any other old lady hobby you can think of!