2016 Grammy’s Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

The 2016 Grammys were a night of glamor, performances, lots of tributes, and big winners. If you missed all the crazy that went down last Monday night, here is your recap.

1.     Adele returns! But, there was one big problem… With her first telecasted performance since 2012, everyone was extremely looking forward to hearing Adele belt out those long beautiful notes of “All I ask” on live television. But, in the middle of her performance her mic seemed to cut out but the pro that she is Adele continued right on singing.

2.     Lady Gaga’s crazy David Bowie tribute… Not only did Gaga show up to the show harboring her inner David Bowie, but she proceeded to perform a weird but heartwarming tribute to the late star.

3.     All the other tributes… Gaga wasn’t the only one to give a tribute this year. Meghan Trainor, Luke Bryan, John Legend, Demi Lovato, and Tyrese Gibson also all performed in honor of artists. Lionel Richie being one of those artists be honored was in attendance, decided to jump up on stage to sing along! It almost broke the internet. 

4.     Meghan Trainor made us all cry…I do not know about you guys but I was sobbing into my popcorn bowl when Meghan Trainor broke down on stage while accepting her award for Best New Artist. Then they flashed to her Dad (her date for the night by the way, so cute!) who was also crying and that was it, I was like a blubbering whale.

5.     Kendrick Lamar’s Grammy moment… The word Grammy moment normally comes from when something big happens that would and could only happen at the Grammys. This year’s Grammy moment went to the one and only Kendrick Lamar who gave an amazing performance.

6.     Johnny Depp is in a band now… You heard me right Depp premiered her new band Hollywood Vampires who gave a tribute to Motorhead by performing “Ace of Spades”. Not my favorite one of the night, but I don’t mind watching Johnny Depp rock out on his guitar.

7.     Taylor slayed… First she shows up with Selena Gomez as her date (both of their dresses were on point btw), then she opens the show with an amazing performance of “Out of the Woods” where she took us all to her 1989 World Tour, she won 3 Grammys (Album of the Year for 1989, Best Pop Album for 1989, and Best Music Video for Bad Blood), and finally, she straight called Kayne West out on his shit on live television for saying that he is the reason she is famous while accepting her award for Album of the Year. She slayed us all.

8.     Uptown Funk… As annoying as Uptown Funk can be, we all secretly love it. And that is why it won Record of the Year. Bruno Mars may be short, but he sure knows how to make us all want to get up and dance.

Here is a link to all the winners from this year. http://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblackmon/grammy-2016-winners-list#.uc2eKjZw3A

I wonder what craziness will happen next year Bees?

Hi, my name is MacKenzie, but all my friends call me Mac. I am a sophomore here at SAU where I play softball, President of BeeMedia, Events Editor for HerCampus SAU, a pro-Netflix watcher, and slowly trying to become Oliva Pope.  
Her Campus at SAU