This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Crank up the heat! Get your comfy socks on! Grab a big cup of hot chocolate and start thinking about how you want to spend the rest of your 2023 year! More specifically, what fun holiday activities catch your eye? No matter what holiday your family and friends are celebrating! There is something on the list for everyone!

BAKING COOKIES

Snickerdoodles, thumbprint, chocolate, sugar, there are so many choices to choose from! Even better, there is ready-to-bake dough to ease the process by a lot! Nevertheless, you cannot go wrong with cookies and milk! 

ATTENDING LIGHT SHOWS 

Following, light shows are always a fun activity and make for great photos. Some neighborhoods get together to provide an extraordinary experience. Having music, several lights, and some even giving out baked goods! Additionally, some institutions also participate in holiday cheer and have their own light shows. If you are from the Quad City area, the Fejervary Learning Center (located in Davenport) hosts a free fifteen-minute show that you can enjoy from the comfort of your car. You park and tune into 107.5 FM!

ICE SKATING

One of the more iconic activities! Ice skating can be a real thrill! Planning a first date . . . there is not better way to break the ice :)

THEATER PERFORMANCES

Whether it is musical or ballet performances, there is something for everyone! Check your local performing arts center for a list of shows. Chances are you could see either The Grinch, A Christmas Carol, or a holiday classic: The Nutcracker. 

HOLIDAY MOVIE MARATHON

Three things needed. Popcorn, blankets, and your most treasured holiday films! 

CAROLING 

Want to try out your singing skills? Caroling might be the way to go. Grab some of your favorite harmonizers and go spread the holiday cheer! Jingle Bell Rock, Rockin Around the Christmas Tree, and Santa Baby are a few to keep in mind!

BUILD A SNOWMAN

Depending on your area, this activity may be a little harder to achieve. Nevertheless, building a snowman is one of the most nostalgic experiences in an individual’s life! Whenever I get the chance, I attempt to redeem my seventh-grade snowman . . . “ATTEMPT.” It is important to note that good quality gloves are required or else nothing is getting built. 

GINGERBREAD HOUSE DECORATING

WARNING! This could get messy! Not feeling Christmas cookies this year? Try getting some graham crackers, candy, frosting, and an empty milk carton! With these supplies, you can unleash your inner artist and make tiny “gingerbread” houses. 

SLEDDING 

Another nostalgic activity! Sledding is more physical than most of the others on this list but very worth it! The joy and rush that comes with going up and down the hill is unmatched. Before they are all gone, go get your sleds, gloves, and most importantly, try to find a tall hill! (Proceed with caution though)

DO A GOOD DEED

Last but not least, the holidays can be some of the best and worst times. Some may not be as fortunate to have a family or home to go to for the holidays, yet you can do something about it! It could be anything from helping out at a soup kitchen, volunteering at a hospital, or donating time or money to certain organizations. Even extending an invitation to dinner to people you know would enjoy it! However, the easiest good deed to carry out is remembering to give thanks. We get so caught up in our busy lives that we tend to overlook the many blessings right in front of us. Therefore, use this time to reflect as we say goodbye to 2023. Best wishes! Happy Holidays! 

Beyonce G is a writer at HC @ SAU. Beyond HC, Beyonce is involved on campus. She is an active member of Latinos Unidos and Psychology club. She is a barista at 392 Cafe! In her free time, she loves to watch movies and catch up with friends. She is an avid coffee drinker, so you can find her scoping out shops around our area. She is also a massive Karol G fan!