This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

As days keep passing on, let’s not forget planting season comes upon us! Not a plant expert? No biggie because I will list some plants that are easy to care for. Trust me, I myself still go through a trial and error process with my plants. I slowly have added more plants to my collection, but I could hardly keep one plant alive before. I still didn’t let my failures stop me though. I love plants and my biggest success right now is keeping my orchid alive for a year and actually getting it to re-bloom. Before my plants wouldn’t make it because I gave them a little too much love (over watered them), a simple but common mistake. I would also have an issue with forgetting to water my plant. So really, I just learned a few tricks over the years. I am still not an expert myself but there is a plant for everyone out there that just about anyone can care for. Plants really brighten up any room and honestly it just makes me happy to care for something and watch it grow. It is a real mood booster to have some plants around.

Aloe

I have had an Aloe Vera plant for years and years and it just keeps growing new little plants around it. I have totally forgotten about this plant especially during winter time and it still thrives. 

Herbs

This is a new one that I am starting this year. I have always heard herbs are easy to grow. I do love how fresh herbs taste straight out of your own herb garden. Some favorites are cilantro, rosemary, and basil for cooking. I also love stevia because I just throw it in when I make my tea and it naturally sweetenss it!

Cactus

This is another plant I have had for ages and it always does well. I rarely water it and just have it near a window and it stays happy. If you are someone who forgets watering then this one is perfect as it doesn’t need much watering.

Succulents

I feel like most people have owned a succulent at some point. They are so adorable and always aesthetically pleasing. They are also easy to care for as long as you don’t over water them and have a place that lets in a lot of light like besides a window.

Snake Plant

Snake plant is also a very good plant that will go through anything. It a great beginner plant.

Hostas

I have a ton of these outside my house. Almost a little too many that we had to get rid of some by they reproduce very easy too. Very hard to kill and they grow back every year! So you don’t have to worry about them dying over winter as they will grow back up again.

Air Plant

This is such a cute plant that I have yet to buy myself but they can be planted in many creative ways as they don’t need the regular soil and heavy watering as other plants.

Spider Plant

I love these plants in hanging baskets. No don’t worry they don’t have spiders in them, but instead their leaves produce to a form that it looks like it has little spiders on it. 

String of Pearls

I made sure to include plants that do well in hanging baskets and this is another great option. It is a succulent type plant. I love all the little beads it has hence it’s name string of pearls because that is exactly what it looks like.

String of Hearts

This is one of my favorite plants that I want to own soon. The leaves look like cute hearts and someone who is such a romantic this plant gives off the perfect mood for me.

My typical day goes a little like this: Coffee. Code. Sleep. Repeat. I am all about female empowerment, heavy coffee drinker, and a computer nerd.
Her Campus at SAU