Why Girls Should Make the First Move; Jenna Marbles & A College Guy’s Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

You know those hilarious YouTube videos by Jenna Marbles? In case you ladies out there have been living under a rock lately, this video is my favorite. 

The point of Jenna’s videos are primarily to poke fun at our daily lives in an often critical but upbeat manner.

Jenna points out numerous absurdities of life and I can’t be quite sure if she has yet to do one about girls failing to make the first move, but I’m going to go ahead and take the lead on this one.

Men and women should be equal partners right?

After all, equality (in one way or another) has been a big issue amongst societies for generations. One of the more notable equality issues was the women’s suffrage movement. Back in the 1920’s, women fought for the right to vote and to be an equal part of society.

Well ladies, if you want to be treated like equals, than treat others as equals! It’s a two-way street here!

In the early 20th century, the United States broke an old and stupid custom for the betterment of everyone by allowing women to vote.

Well, it’s time to break another old and stupid custom of waiting for the man to make the first move. You want to be an equal right? Than act equal.

Girls, if you’re on a first date, or in any situation where you have yet to kiss the boy you like, than simply go ahead take Nike’s advice and “just do it”. Make the first move.

If we’re talking equality here, then it should be a 50/50 split. Girls should make the first move just as often as the guys.  However, I’m sure this hasn’t been the case in most of your dating lives, yet it’s important we break this concept.

Clinging to the old notion that the guy is supposed to make the first move is incredibly naive. Guys can be just as shy (if not more-so). 

So please, please, please, ladies, if you like the guy, just ask him out before he asks you out, or kiss him before he kisses you.

Doing so shows us that you are confident in yourself. We don’t want to date someone we always have to speak up for, we want a girl who can hold her own. Making the first move is impressive and catches us off guard!

There is absolutely nothing that can match the thrill of a girl making the first move. It’s a more than welcomed surprise when the girl takes control because of the societal pressures on us guys to initiate.

I know we (guys and girls) are always second guessing if the object of our affection truly wants to kiss us back, but trust me ladies if the guy is on the date with you or giving you significant time of day at a party with tons of other girls, he likes you.

There is no such thing as the “friend zone” in guys’ minds. Yes, there are certain girls we won’t be interested in but never because “were already too good of friends.” As bad as it may sound, we don’t care about possibly ruining a friendship.

That said, there are simply too many reasons why a guy who likes you may not be initiating the first date or first kiss, so girls, take action!

Not once have I ever heard a guy tell the girl that he wasn’t ready to be kissed yet. That whole no kiss on the first date concept is a myth.

Now go out there and “Just Do It”!

Andrew Bensch

San Francisco

Andrew is a rising senior at San Francisco State University majoring in broadcast journalism. While he hopes to some day work in the sports media industry, becoming a professional columnist for a women's magazine is also on his radar. While in college Andrew has contributed sports columns to such sites like Foxsports.com, Insidehockey.com, and Bleacherreport.com. But don't be fooled, he isn't just your typical jock, after all he is willing to admit he actually loves chick flicks like "27 Dresses" "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton" and "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days". He also enjoys shows like "The OC", "One Tree Hill", "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" and "Teen Wolf" and wonders aloud why more college men don't open up about their love for these types of programs.
Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.