jwkZ37Sw?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jwkZ37Sw?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why every college student should be carrying around a Birdie 

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Moving into a different city for college can be scary for some. As a newcomer you’re adjusting to the city, how to get from here to there, what places are safe and not safe, etc. Sometimes as we navigate the city we may seem a little lost or confused because it is confusing and that’s okay! But sometimes the look of confusion in a big city can lead to a target on your back. 

Many people carry around self-defense items like pepper spray and tasers. These are great for protection, but can maybe be scary for some to use in the act of something dangerous. That’s why I use a Birdie. From the female-owned brand She Birdie the Birdie is a small keychain that acts as an alarm to sound off attackers. It’s super easy to use as you just pull the keychain to release the alarm. The alarm is extremely loud and also produces flashing lights to alert others around you that you need help. 

Click here to see how it works! https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT82UArsN/ 

The keychain aspect is one of my favorite parts of this product. It’s small and compact and doesn’t make your keychain hold uncomfortable or heavy. The Birdie also comes in 10 different colors, making it easy to blend into your keychain hold. Who doesn’t love a self-defense weapon that comes in their favorite color? 

The Birdie is a little bit on the pricey side, as it costs $29.95 + shipping. However, I wouldn’t recommend it if I didn’t think it was truly worth it. 

My Birdie makes me feel safe as I take the bus home late from work or walk around the city late at night. The Birdie is also TSA approved meaning you can take it to concerts, sports, events, and even when traveling. It’s so easy and quick to use in a line of defense. I never feel anxious that I will do it incorrectly or harm myself with this self-defense device. 

The Birdie is one of my biggest recommendations to college students living in San Francisco. Its easy accessibility, and the act of safety it provides is truly incomparable. It’s made me feel safe and like I could defend myself in sticky situations throughout the city. As young adults it’s hard enough trying to navigate around SF, it’s even harder when you feel threatened or violated by those around you. So please, if not the Birdie, always carry something that you can use to protect yourself, it’s incredibly important. 

Below I have links to purchase the Birdie as well as some cheaper dupes for those interested. 

Livia Williams

San Francisco '26

Hello! My name is Livia Williams I am currently a second year at SFSU majoring in journalism. I am a huge advocate for social justice issues and find pride in addressing the inequality that sadly still exists within our societies. I like to tell stories from women all over the world and captivate readers into understanding the obstacles they face on a day to day basis. I hope to provide women with a sense of peace when they read my work and gift them with the realization that they are not alone, and we are all in this together.