What Shoes Says About A Guy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Over the weekend, I had a discussion with my roommate about guys and their clothing choices. I have no idea how the topic was brought up, but it had led to an interesting discussion on guys’ shoes. This discussion isn’t solely about guys’ shoes. It’s about what these shoes say about a guy. Do shoes give some small insight on how guys think or what their personalities are like? I know it sounds ridiculous, but maybe there is something to it. However, when you’ve been locked up in your room, drowning in homework, and needing a break from it all, crazy discussions with another person are more likely to happen.

Well my roommate and I had a discussion about guys’ shoes in our age group and what it says about them. I told my roommate that there is an actual book based on what men shoes says about their personality. She didn’t believe me (I don’t know why she didn’t since the topic is very plausible) and expressed that I was joking. Me? I can understand why she would think that, but I was serious. There was an episode on The Oprah Winfrey Show that had an author come on the show to talk about the book she wrote. The book is called “How to Tell a Man by His Shoes” by Kathryn Eisman. My roommate looked stunned that there’s such a book that’s written about mens’ shoes. And then I thought, what if I give it a try and see what these shoes says about guys as a 20-something year old?

I have noticed that in our age group, guys and their shoes can be either important or not so much. Sometimes guys go for what is functional and comfortable. Other times, guys go for shoes that are stylish. Overall, I do believe a man’s shoes can tell a few things about the person who’s wearing them. Lets start off, shall we?

Guys who wear white sneakers are the comfortable type. They want to be comfortable when they are no the go. And they need something functional when getting around. Their appearance isn’t a huge factor. Try to picture the nice, quiet guy on campus that’s trying to get from point (A) to point (B).

Guys who wear vans or converse are usually the guys who are “down for anything.” These guys are very easygoing and are open to trying new things. They tend to “go with the flow” about most things, whether it’s school or hanging out with their friends.

The guys who wear flip flops…well…I would think they like things easy. They don’t care about the expectations of how to dress when it comes to appearance. They are laid back and super chill. One can slide their feet into a pair of flip flops without any real effort to do so.

A guy that wears oxfords are very fashionable. They care about their appearance and are usually clean. I would think he is responsible and gets his tasks done.

The guy who has the latest sneakers likes to be in the trend of fashion. This is another guy who cares about his appearance. He cares more about not messing up his brand-new sneakers than cleaning up his place.

Of course, there are other shoes to decipher when telling about a guy. However, that might take a whole book to cover on every shoe and deciphering what each means. The great news is is that the book exists!

Sade Browne

San Francisco

Sade Browne is majoring in Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts. She is a very enthusiastic and down-to-earth person. She is a fan of fashion, music, food, and reading. She loves getting to know people and has a curious mind to find things out that interest her.