This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

The first year of college is full of big emotions, excitement, nervousness, homesickness, and maybe some fear. When you pair these emotions with the need to learn life skills, while attending school it is overwhelming. 

Something that helped me in my first year was my willingness to put myself out there. By talking to people you get to understand the people that make up the culture of the campus. At San Francisco State that means a lot of hardworking, busy people, who are all trying their best. A perfect example of this is when I met one of my best friends by yelling at him through my dorm window and inviting myself over with cookies. 

Another way to make friends is in your classes. When you walk into a classroom, and sit down, turn to the person next to you. There will be a time when you can not make it to class and need notes or there is a difficult homework assignment and you need help. Having at least one friend in every class is not only great to make a social connection but allows you the ability to commiserate when midterms and finals come and there is a sense of community created.

During the middle of finals in my first year I remember being so sick that I missed class and needed notes. The teacher emailed me their slides from the class presentation but what really helped was my friend’s notes. I had asked for a few people’s numbers in the beginning of the year so I was not behind in the slightest between two sets of notes I had close to a transcript of the class. 

Study spaces are important to have on campus. Some prefer the Library with its large floors getting quieter as you go up, or the busier cafe on the 1st floor. Others prefer the Student Center towards the lower part where it is more quiet. I like an empty classroom, in my mind the perfect study space is the one you learn in. For me, that’s a classroom. It takes some effort to find an empty classroom in a building but it is peaceful knowing you have a whiteboard, wifi, and plenty of thinking space for that massive group project that your teacher assigned. Just remember there is no wrong place to choose but it is important to be aware of your choices.

San Francisco is known for its hills and change in elevation. If you are trying to find a classroom keep in mind that there are buildings built on a slant and buildings that have been remodeled and added to on one side and potentially not another. For example the HSS building, the first floor on the side of the building near the bus stop is not the same as on the left side of the building closer to the sciences. Remember that buildings here are constructed with the environment in mind and that not all floors are created equal. 

I once got lost in Burke hall and did not realize it was two buildings fused together and so the ground floor on one side was not the ground floor on the other. I ended up walking the hallways back and forth up and down the stairs. Do not stress like I did, if you can not find a classroom, if you need help, just remember to talk, and go and ask someone. 

Use the campus resources, as much as you can. A personal favorite is the Food+Shelter+Success program run at San Francisco State. Through the program they can help you apply for Calfresh, offer snacks for grab and go as well as gator groceries which is a food pantry that gives out boxes of essentials. Another thing they offer are basic personal care items like deodorant, toothpaste, soap, as well as condoms and relaxation kits. On campus there are many places to find free condoms outside of just this program, there is a dispenser in the Student Center, and another in the Mashouf Wellness Center. This program appears somewhat hidden away under student housing Village at Centennial. 

A recent study by the Mayo Clinic shows that in a 2021–2022 survey of students across 133 college campuses, 44% of students reported symptoms of depression and 15% reported seriously considering suicide in the past year. One way that students can reduce the feelings of depression is to remain active. Recreational sports, yoga and kickboxing classes at the gym are not overrated. If one type of activity does not peak your interest, attend a different class, join another sport, or try something new like a backpacking trip.

As a kid I loved rock climbing, I did it in a summer camp and loved it. As I grew out of my summer camp years I had forgotten about the sport until college. I visited the wall with a friend I had made in class and fell in love with it all over again. There are different types of communities at the gym but the rock climbing wall is accepting, encouraging, and positive which is unlike a lot of sports I had been a part of. 

The main thing I wish I knew my first year was, that everything will change and that is good. College is like a transfer point at a train station, there is always a lot going on and everyone making decisions. Everyone has their path avoid judging others and especially yourself. I was told that college was about education, making friends, and graduating on time. All of that is true, but the most forgotten thing is you figure out how you are on your own. So when you are saying hello to others also be willing to say hello to a new version of yourself because a new version of you might be a good surprise.

Jessica Sheppard

San Francisco '24

Hello, my name is Jessica Sheppard I am originally from Sacramento. I am currently a third year student at San Francisco State and pursuing a degree in communications. My aspiration is to be a professor of communications. I have a passion for rock climbing, gardening, baking and writing short stories. Reading is another favorite pass time of mine and my genre of choice is fiction. My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jessica-sheppard-sfsu/