This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

February 24th, 2022 marked the beginning of Russia invading Ukraine. Fast forward to 2023, and the Ukrainian people are still fighting to have their independence and their country back. The tensions between Russia and Ukraine are long-standing, and have brought turmoil and destruction to a people who have had to continuously fight for their freedom. The real war started back in 2014, when pro-Russian Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych was ousted and fled to Russia, Putin annexed Crimea as a measure to “de-nazify” Ukraine and take back what he considered to be a part of the Soviet Union. Further sanctions and invasions by pro-Russian rebels followed, serving as a stark reminder of the stronghold that Russia always has had on Ukraine and its government – what was called a “temporary occupation,” is still being occupied by Russians today.The Russo-Ukrainian war has brought on the worst refugee crisis we have seen since World War II. Many are questioning if there is an end near in sight after the ever-growing number of casualties and destruction, with the biggest concern being that more nuclear power plants such as the infamous one in Chernobyl continue to be seized by Russia and struck by missiles. Though the possibility of having something as catastrophic as the Chernobyl meltdown of 1986 is slim, it still poses major risks to anyone in the general area. Anyone even visiting these areas in recent times must go through several intense safety measures to limit the amount of radiation that could enter their bodies. 

While many countries ran to join NATO in 2022 in response to Putin starting this war, Ukraine itself is not a member yet, which means there cannot be implemented No-fly zones in Ukraine or direct outside combat assistance from other NATO countries. Putin is currently looking to make the alliance between Russia and China even closer, all while threatening the use of nuclear weapons should Russia be threatened. So, what can be done on our end, since intervening would mean escalating this to World War III? The short answer is, we can help. It is vital that other countries continue to supply weapons, tanks, and whatever other military ordnances are needed. We need find shelter and food for those seeking refuge, in Ukraine and those escaping. Most importantly, we cannot allow for anyone, in any country, to declare authoritarian rule eternally until their death. Doing so means the end of Democracy as we know it. A common thread in dictatorship, is that the first step is taking control of the media and the press – Hitler taught us that in World War II when he did that, and started organizing the corps now infamously known as the Hitler Youth, and The League of German Girls, which through the brainwashing of said youth, he was able to control the narrative of the information his people were being fed. The same is starting to be true in Russia. When I still had family living in Moscow before they had to flee early on in the 2022 invasion, there were only one or two television channels, all containing alarming amounts of propaganda – as did any radio stations and print publications. It was not until they left, that they finally were able to get access to more reliable sources.

Being from Poland, a country that also has had a long, turbulent history with Russia and disappeared off of the map for over a hundred years, I understand the urgency that Zelenskyy refers to when he states,”The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.” It is often in the most difficult of times that humanity is forced to make decisions that are not easy – ones that could change the course of the future. Despite having all odds against it, Ukraine has stood its ground, and will forever be a symbol of courage and perseverance, and that alone is something that has altered the course of history. Many did not expect for it to stand alone for so long, let alone look its enemy in the eyes defiantly and laugh. A former comedian-turned President has now become one of the world’s largest icons and symbols of heroism – Zelenskyy refuses to abandon his people, though knowing full-well that he is Putin’s prime target. This has served as great inspiration for the Ukrainian people, and perhaps given them the motivation they need to keep going. In December, Zelenskyy secretly flew out of Ukraine long enough to make an appearance in front of Congress in Washington D.C. There, he made a powerful speech, declaring that “Against all odds and doom-and-gloom scenarios, Ukraine didn’t fall. Ukraine is alive and kicking.”

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

If you would like to learn more and see what you can do to help, visit Nova Ukraine’s website here: 

https://give.novaukraine.org/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA3eGfBhCeARIsACpJNU_mMCXRtpmAmLEt3yQih0QugcmkcriVYBgNUZVvV0mz8k0lNKMeEoUaAu3kEALw_wcB

Vera Maksymiuk

San Francisco '24

English major who is passionate about poetry, literature, pop culture, art, fashion, music, world news and politics :)