This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Spring has sprung, and that means that graduation season is soon upon us. Whether you’re a soon-to-be-grad or a photographer doing graduation-themed photoshoots, there are numerous ways to get creative to perfectly capture that iconic celebratory moment, both in solo shots and in group photos alike.
The traditional route of course, is to have the photoshoot take place on your respective campus, to pay homage to where you studied and embarked on your academic journey. As a photographer, using your own campus makes it easy and fun to go all out and recreate some moments in your favorite places around campus, pose with your school mascot, and perhaps discover some new ones, too. In this case, typically the front or main entrance of the school, where either the name of the college or a known/main location will be visible. Did you have specific hobbies, or did you take part in any sports? If so, you can incorporate those in your photos as well! Props are a simple yet effective way to change up each photo. You can still play around with concepts here and make it different with a variety of poses, locations, and activities such as popping a bottle of champagne, confetti, bubbles, or even documenting the decoration process of a graduation cap.
If you decide to go off the beaten path so to speak, there are endless possibilities. Many times when people are trying to capture a moment in their life when one chapter is closing and another is about to begin, they go out into nature. Being in California, we have at our fingertips endless picturesque beaches, ancient forests, creeks, lakes, and mountains – as the saying

goes, in this part of the world, California is a place where it at times is possible to ski and swim at the beach all In the same day. Some of my favorite photograph sessions, both wedding/ engagement/birthday/pregnancy/divorce and otherwise, are those where these aspects of nature are used to create truly magical moments. It is in a way almost like a spiritual cleanse to wash the past away in the ocean, or walk through a new “door”, aka a hole in a giant redwood tree.
If you are feeling more spontaneous, though, how about going with fellow graduates to a Rockin’ Jump? This is bound to get some high energy and chaotic shots, in the best way possible. You can even rent out a space as to not risk the chance of there not being enough room for a larger group.
For those who need more budget friendly options, another route that many take that doesn’t need to cost any money is going to your nearest downtown area or bigger city or local park and getting some photos there either out on a street, in your favorite venue or hang-out spot in town. Though for graduation photos the cap and gown is a staple to signify this transition from college to real adulthood, they are not necessarily mean it is by any means a requirement to make the photos work and come out looking good. Many opt for formal wear, if that is what they have or prefer. If you can do both, try that!
Lastly, for my graduates – you choose to do for your graduation shoot this spring or summer, let it be true to who you are, and most importantly, be proud of your accomplishment. You earned that degree, and this is your chance to shine! I can safely speak for all photographers when I say there is nothing better than being able to be a part of your big day.

Vera Maksymiuk

San Francisco '24

English major who is passionate about poetry, literature, pop culture, art, fashion, music, world news and politics :)