Things I Miss About Being in a Relationship; A College Guy’s Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

1. Her Scent

Only once have I disapproved of a woman’s perfume or shampoo scent. The other 99.999% of the time, that
scent just smells like ummmm…heaven! I miss running my nose through a girl’s hair and taking in the essence. I also miss it when a girl borrows my clothes because she returns them smelling like bliss. When that happens I don’t wear or wash what she’s borrowed until the smell goes away.

There’s just something about the scent of a woman…

“I detect a fragrance in the air. Don’t tell me what it is. Ogilvie Sisters soap.” -Scent of a Woman

“90% of a woman’s pheromones come out the top of her head. That’s why women are shorter, so that men will fall in love when they hug them. C’mon, Ross, you’re a scientist.” –Friends

2. Cuddling.

When  it comes to cuddling, men have a rough reputation for not enjoying it. But most men like to cuddle, well, at least I do. Ever since I was a wee lad cuddling with my dozens of stuffed animals, the experience has been quite pleasant. That said, Chandler Bing puts it best:

“Janice likes to cuddle at night, which you know I am all for. But, you know when you want to go to sleep, you want some space.” -Friends

3. Her Looks.

No, not  her physical beauty, -but more specifically, her looks. That cute fake angry look, her cute sad puppy dog look, or her joyous smile when you pick her up for a date.

“Like do you know she has six smiles? One when something really makes her laugh. One when she’s making plans. One when she is laughing out of politeness. One when she is uncomfortable. One when she is making fun of herself. And one when… she’s talking about her friends.” -Win a Date With Tad Hamilton

4. Date night

Living in San Francisco should be taken advantage of but we guys as a species are lazy and content with just being dudes.  However a girl can get us to experience new and fun things because doing them with her is so much more enjoyable than doing them with other dudes.

Chandler: “So Saturday night, the big night, date night, Saturday night, SAT-UR-DAY night!”
Joey: “No plans, huh?”
Chandler: “Nottta one.” -Friends

5. Her cheering you on

I love it when she comes to my games to cheer me on. I remember playing a hockey game once with a girlfriend in attendance. After scoring a goal, I jumped right into the glass at the exact spot where she was sitting. It’s just special to share something we love with the girl we love.

And if you really want to make us blush, you can bring  a “I <3 number..." sign to the game.

6. Motivation

Boys will be boys, but womanly influence helps push us to be better. Whether it’s a better diet, better exercise, -what have you. The right girl can push all the right buttons. The following may be a cliché movie line, but it’s the only example I could think of LOL.

“We live in a cynical world. A cynical world. And we work in a business of tough competitors….I love you. You…complete me” -Jerry Maguire

7. Being there to cheer you up.

There was one time where one of my favorite sports teams had just lost a heartbreaking game. I was visibly upset, but she was there to “console” me.

Rachel: “For every time that your asleep before I come home from work. “I’ll wake you up in a way that’s proved very popular in the past”
Ross: “Now, if you need to stay late, I want to be supportive of that” -Friends

8. Baths

Nothing really to say here, other than recommending you watch this clip from “Friends”.

9. Going for a walk

I miss just going out for a walk. The right women make walks special.

“A walk to remember” doesn’t happen with just anybody.

10. Anticipation.

Quite simply, that feeling you get when you know you’re going to see that special someone.  That someone you’d walk a thousand miles just to see them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwkej79U3ek

Andrew Bensch

San Francisco

Andrew is a rising senior at San Francisco State University majoring in broadcast journalism. While he hopes to some day work in the sports media industry, becoming a professional columnist for a women's magazine is also on his radar. While in college Andrew has contributed sports columns to such sites like Foxsports.com, Insidehockey.com, and Bleacherreport.com. But don't be fooled, he isn't just your typical jock, after all he is willing to admit he actually loves chick flicks like "27 Dresses" "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton" and "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days". He also enjoys shows like "The OC", "One Tree Hill", "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" and "Teen Wolf" and wonders aloud why more college men don't open up about their love for these types of programs.
Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.