This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Fall is fast approaching and the yearning for comfort and cozy feelings are beginning to enter our minds. Reminiscing over the ideas of pumpkins, warm cups of coffee, and nights under blankets the idea of baking and cooking comes to mind.

The issue of course with baking or cooking of any kind is that for most recipes it requires spices. If you are new to cooking it might seem overwhelming that you do not have all the spices you need to make something as fall provoking as pumpkin bread. 

A standard spice cabinet probably has salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, and vanilla extract. Just to have those basic ingredients used in most cooking it is $14.80 from Target.

The high price of spices to make delicious treats is not the spooky surprise anyone is looking for going into this season. So where should you go to stock up and help you build your spice cabinet?

When the pennies add up these are three following stores that people can go to and why they are good to stock up or create a spice cabinet at. 

Walmart

They have the best prices on all spices irregardless of amount. A 26 oz container of salt costs only $0.62 for their own Great Value brand. While a flavor like vanilla at other retailers might cost you $5 or more at Walmart it cost $4.75. 

Target

Has all your basics, although not the cheapest option, their brand of Good & Gather tends to be cheaper than the branded spices. As part of their Good & Gather brand onion powder costs $1.47 while a more popular brand like Bidia will cost $3.59 for the same thing.

Trader Joe’s

Is the best at specialty seasonings with a wide variety and range they will give any recipe a new twist. From classics to Everything Bagel seasoning to more obscure options like Ketchup Flavored Sprinkle seasoning. Even with their creative spices the price is reasonable. 

They say that smells are some of the best ways to provoke memory and what could be more memorable than baking or cooking during this fall season. Don’t let the price tag scare you, build or grow your spice cabinet, your taste buds will thank you.

Jessica Sheppard

San Francisco '24

Hello, my name is Jessica Sheppard I am originally from Sacramento. I am currently a third year student at San Francisco State and pursuing a degree in communications. My aspiration is to be a professor of communications. I have a passion for rock climbing, gardening, baking and writing short stories. Reading is another favorite pass time of mine and my genre of choice is fiction. My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jessica-sheppard-sfsu/