freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

That’s What (S)he said: Relationship “Rules”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

So they say that men are from Mars and women are from Venus, yet we all live on Earth.  So just how different are men and women when it comes to relationships, work, music and everything else? Well, Her Campus San Francisco is going to attempt to answer this puzzling phenomenon in a series of articles that we’re calling “That’s What (S)he Said”. Each piece will consist of a question to which a female answer will be given and a male answer will be given.

***Our one big rule is absolutely zero collaboration. National’s Real Life College Guy Andy has no idea how SFSU college student Jasmijn is going to answer and Jasmijn has no idea how Andy is going to answer. Both are students at SFSU ***

Today we will be discussing relationship rules, (well, picturing Captain Barbosa), more like guidelines than actual rules.

1) Relationship anniversaries, which should be celebrated?

What (s)he said:

We have all seen it. The tortuous Facebook post about Jack & Jill and how horribly in love they are on their anniversary of…one week. I can’t keep track of the days of the week in general, so I’m not one for petty anniversaries, and generally the big ones I guesstimate (or go back and check the date it became Facebook official). Three months is an somewhat unnecessary but nevertheless a nice place to start keeping track. Generally by this point the novelty of the relationship has somewhat worn off so it is worthy of a mention, but please leave it at that. Of course you have to mark 6 months with a cute date, but nothing grandly over the top. And then just start counting the years, and celebrating in a way that is special and meaningful to your relationship. Do something fun and out of the ordinary to celebrate!

What he said:

Anniversary is defined as “the yearly recurrence” according to dictionary.com. So if a couple wants to celebrate six months of dating, then go ahead. But is it really worth getting mad at your boyfriend for forgetting the exact date of a six month “anniversary”? If the two of you end up getting married, neither party is going to remember to keep celebrating the six month plateau. No, the wedding anniversary will be what you (well hopefully) always remember. So in the grand scheme of things, just go by anniversaries the way they are supposed to be remembered; once per year.
And while you’re dating, please leave it to one anniversary to celebrate. Ladies, don’t expect a guy  to remember two or three different dates, it’s not going to happen. However, talk to him about what one moment you want to celebrate if you end up dating for over a year. First kiss? First date? First day you became official? Just be clear on which anniversary you will celebrate and celebrate it.

Who do you agree with? Let us know in the comments below and look for the next That’s What (S)he Said coming soon!

Andrew Bensch

San Francisco

Andrew is a rising senior at San Francisco State University majoring in broadcast journalism. While he hopes to some day work in the sports media industry, becoming a professional columnist for a women's magazine is also on his radar. While in college Andrew has contributed sports columns to such sites like Foxsports.com, Insidehockey.com, and Bleacherreport.com. But don't be fooled, he isn't just your typical jock, after all he is willing to admit he actually loves chick flicks like "27 Dresses" "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton" and "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days". He also enjoys shows like "The OC", "One Tree Hill", "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" and "Teen Wolf" and wonders aloud why more college men don't open up about their love for these types of programs.