Wellness

Sweet Treat For Fall: Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

When the weather cools, and the blankets come out, the best way to end a hard day of work or midterms is to have a sweet treat. These chocolate caramel cupcakes have only 11 ingredients and if you bake often, most of these items are most likely already in the drawers. 

I made this recipe while being on a budget and combining a classic recipe and giving it a more modern twist. These cupcakes are perfect for your next spooky night in with friends.

The base of this chocolate cupcake is wacky cake, which was a recipe out of world war two when people were rationing and so there is no eggs, butter, or milk used in this recipe. If you are dairy free these cupcakes are very easy to make without the frosting. 

When biting into the oozing caramel center it will make you dream of fall nights and the rich frosting will make the taste feel creamy and light. Turn on the oven, get out your bowels and sifter and get ready to make a marvelous cupcake. 

What you will need for 12 cupcakes:

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour

2 ½ cup white sugar

4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

6 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup water

1 tub of cream cheese frosting 

½ cup of carmel

Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. 
  2. Bowl one; add all of your dry ingredients, flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. If you have the ability to sift the flour it makes the cake more fluffy and light.
  3. Bowl two; combine wet ingredients like vegetable oil, cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Do not add water until bowl one and two have been combined. 
  4. Combine bowls one and two and mix together with a fork or a hand held whisk. 
  5. Once the bowls of dry and wet have been combined add water and mix thoroughly. 
  6. Place the mixture into the cupcake liners and fill ¾ of the way up allowing the mixture to rise.
  7. Place in the oven for 15 minutes to allow them to cook.
  8. To check if the cakes are done, stick a wooden toothpick through the center. If it comes out clean then the cake is cooked. Pull them out of the oven and let them sit on the counter for an hour to let them fully cook.
  9. Using the same fork that you used to combine the mixture, use the end of the handle to make an indent for your caramel center. Squeeze in your caramel for around four to five seconds. Let that sit for a few minutes.
  10. Then add a small amount of frosting to cover the hole that was created. Finally add your desired amount of frosting.
Jessica Sheppard

San Francisco '24

Hello, my name is Jessica Sheppard I am originally from Sacramento. I am currently a third year student at San Francisco State and pursuing a degree in communications. My aspiration is to be a professor of communications. I have a passion for rock climbing, gardening, baking and writing short stories. Reading is another favorite pass time of mine and my genre of choice is fiction. My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jessica-sheppard-sfsu/