Simple Ways to Help Victims of the North Bay Fires (Student Edition)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Simple Ways to Help the Victims of the Fires (Student Edition)

1. Post to Facebook

Post a status offering help to those that you may be connected with through Facebook. Even though you may not have a large following yourself, maybe someone you know will share your post and be able to further spread your message. Even if all you have to offer is time, it can still be put to use.

2. Offer up an extra room or even a floor space

Many people have lost a place to live, including our fellow Cal State family at Sonoma State. By opening up a place for someone to stay, you are eliminating the chance that those affected will become homeless. Even if it’s just for a short time, you can still make a big difference.

3. Go through your closet

Donate any clothes that you no longer have a use for. Along with losing their homes, these people also lost all of their possessions. They will need to start rebuilding their wardrobes along with their homes.

4. Donate food

Go through your pantry and bag any dry or canned foods that you can spare. This can include pasta, canned fruits and veggies, or water bottles.

5. Donate your money

I know that most college students do not have that much to give, but your donation does not have to be large. Local businesses may even ask if you want to round up on your purchase or donate a sum before you checkout. Local Safeways have been asking if you would like to donate at checkout so head to Safeway to do your grocery shopping!

Valerie Duarte

San Francisco

An 18-year-old journalism student at SFSU. Los Angeles native. Very indecisive. Likes to have her cake and matcha lattes, too.