SF State Lingo You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

You know that awkward moment when you’re talking to someone in class and they mention someplace on campus you’ve never head before? You either have to smile and pretend like you know exactly what they’re talking about or feel stupid for asking what they mean. Whether it’s your first year here or not, it’s hard to keep up with the SF State lingo. Have no fear, here’s your guide to commonly used terms on campus to help out. 

Vilmar: Short for Village Market. Vilmar is the convenience store located near the dorms on campus. It has all the overpriced essentials a college student needs from Advil to Ben & Jerry’s. They also sell sandwiches and pizza. Definitely try the chicken pesto avocado sandwich on dutch crunch bread. Yum!

UPN/UPS: Short for University Park North and University Park South respectively. These are the off-campus housing locations owned by the school. UPN is located near Stonestown Mall and UPS is a small section of houses in Park Merced. 

DC: Short for dining center. The DC is the main dining location for students who live in the dorms. You’ve probably heard this term on Yik Yak from wary students curious to know what subpar foods they will be eating that day. It is alternatively known by its actual name, City Eats, or its more colorful nickname, Sh*ty Eats. 

Menchu: Short for Rigoberta Menchú Hall. Menchu is a little known study spot tucked away on the top floor of the Cesar Chavez building. It is filled with well-loved couches and large tables creating a lounge-esque atmosphere. Perfect for finals season when students perch like vultures waiting for the next open plug in the library. 

The Depot: The Depot is a small concert venue located in the bottom of Cesar Chavez next to the pub. They host events Monday through Friday ranging from open mic nights, stand up comedy shows and even free concerts for popular bands like Saint Motel. Find out more about upcoming events by following them on Instagram @thedepotsf.

Rachel is a second-year history major at San Francisco State University. She's a pop culture junkie who's optometrist tells her she spends too much time reading and looking at a screen. Her special talents include singing the wrong words during karoke and dancing like Chandler Bing.