SF State Community Responds to Controversial Indiana Religious Freedom Restoration Act

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

As San Franciscans and Californians, we are truly lucky to live in a place where being openly gay is celebrated, and where homosexual couples have the right to get married, and have equal rights just like every other citizen. California was one of the first states to legalize gay marriage, San Francisco has the Gay Pride Parade every year in the bustling and colorful Castro District, and here at SF State there is a thriving LGBT association and community. However, not every state has the same open minded and accepting state of mind in regards to gay rights as California does. On March 26. the state of Indiana passed the Religious Freedom Bill, which has created much controversy and backlash due to the fact that simply put, businesses in Indiana can refuse to serve gay people, which is justified by their religious beliefs. No matter what religious beliefs mandate, this can be seen as an act of discrimination. And just yesterday, the Arkansas legislature passed a similar bill. Even though Indiana does have marriage equality, it does not protect gay rights.              

Despite Gov. Pence’s denial of the law being used as a “license to discriminate”, San Francisco State University President Les Wong sent out a mass email to students and faculty declaring that he will not use any SF State resources for students or faculty to travel to Indiana. In his email Wong passionately explained that, “It is unconstitutional for this great University to spend its resources in a state that attempts to legislation of any kind. By this note, I am informing the campus community that no San Francisco State University funds from any source—general funds or auxiliary—will be used to support employee or student travel to Indiana.” Wong is also a member of the NCAA Division 2 President’s Council, and said that he will not be attending a council meeting that will be held in Indianapolis in late April. In an article by Kelly Soderlund from the Golden Gate Express, the Associated Students, Inc. President Phoebe Dye said the following in regards to President Wong’s email; “I think it’s an absolutely appropriate step that this campus has taken with our commitment to social justice… I’m really proud of President Wong for issuing that statement. It’s a good, progressive step for SF State to be on this side of history.”          

In regards to encouraging further social justice and gender equality, SF State houses a Queer and Trans Resource Center run by ASI. The center provides a list of all the queer organizations that are on and off campus, weekly meetings, and a library with informational books and DVD’s. They also host “Queer Your Mind Conference” every fall, and the “Lavender Graduation”, which takes place in May. The organization’s mission statement has a philosophy that helps combat social injustice and according to their online website is said to be, “…based on a philosophy that all students deserve their identities to be celebrated and honored by the San Francisco State University community.” And has a ,”…commitment to social justice and community engagement.” So if you want to be proactive about social justice and gay rights and equality, consider getting involved in this organization located in the Cesar Chavez Student Center, where they always welcome volunteers. Or like President Wong, make a commitment to avoid places that harbor social inequality such as the controversial state of Indiana.        

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.