This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Everyone loves a good spooky movie to watch when we’re cozy indoors during the crisp fall weather. Although there are so many classics to watch each year like the original Scream, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and so many more, there are still horror movies being made in modern day that are worth adding to the rotation. Here are some of my favorite “new”(within the last five years) horror movies to watch when you want a little break from your annual classics.

Hereditary (2018)

This is probably one of the scariest movies I have seen in my life. In its essence, as described by director Ari Aster, it is, “A family tradgedy,”  but do not be fooled, it is in the most disturbing way you can imagine. Without giving any spoilers, the plot is surrounded by demonic spirits, possession, cults, and so much more. This movie is incredibly well made, with unique characters and all around complete and utter horror. My best advice is not to watch Hereditary alone, and if you enjoy it I recommend checking out Ari Aster’s two other films, Midsommar(2019) and Beau is Afraid(2023).

Bodies, Bodies, Bodies (2022)

This film is more of a thriller than horror, but it most definitely is a period piece of gen z’s 2022, Tiktok, era. Mysterious murders plague a mansion where a group of friends are trapped during a raging hurricane. This is a fun horror movie that could be classified as a thriller-comedy, the witty characters will make you laugh but the eerie murder mystery will have your heart racing. Bodies, Bodies, Bodies is no short of celebrities starring names Amandla Stenberg, Pete Davidson, Rachel Senott, and Bulgarian actress Maria Bakalova. If you’re looking for a movie that will satisfy your spooky season craving, but also will be fun to enjoy with friends this is the perfect fit.

Talk to Me (2022)

While Hereditary will leave you scarred for days and Bodies, Bodies, Bodies will make you laugh, this movie combines the best of both worlds. When a group of South Australian highschoolers discover an artifact that can conjure spirits and the rush that comes with it, it turns from a thrilling party game to a hanting reality when evil spirits and elements of the afterlife begin to linger in the real world long after the party ends. There are plenty of fun scenes in the movie that are made by the engaging characters that complement each other so well, but the horror in this movie is completely terrifying and will leave you thinking about it long after it ends.

Scream (2022) & Scream IV

Take a little break from the classic Scream and try something new. It has all the same elements including a murder mystery and countless jumpscares. Plus if you are a big fan of the traditional Scream movies there are countless references and call backs to enjoy. These are very meta movies that are equally silly and scary, and if you are not a Jenna Ortega stan yet, you will be by the time you finish.

Piper Rea

San Francisco '24

Hi all! I'm Piper (she/her) I am a communication major here at San Francisco State with a minor in education. Some things that I love are swimming, trying new creative hobbies, being around animals(especially dogs), and concerts:)