This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

I am grateful for the higher education opportunities that have opened endless doors for me. Graduating from high school in 2019, I decided that I wanted to attend college. I enrolled at my local community college, Pasadena City College. My time at community college taught me so much, from learning to be independent to developing social skills and being able to connect with like-minded people. Community college was one of the best experiences of my life. My professors were amazing, helpful, and truly wanted me to succeed, offering me countless forms of support. I was fortunate to find an incredible group of friends with whom I shared unforgettable moments with.

As a Latina student, I always felt I had a strong support system. Whether through my friends or family, I knew I could count on them for support. As a Latina, I am grateful to be surrounded by strong and motivated Latinas, such as my roommates and friends. It’s comforting to be able to relax and relate at the end of the day about school, work, and life. I have also had LatinX professors who have helped me with my studies and motivated me to take risks and further my education. In community college, I worked with LatinX advisors who provided me with tremendous support and understood how important it was to continue my education for both myself and my family.

Here at San Francisco State University, I can rely on my advisors to motivate me. The Educational Opportunity and Pathways Program (EOP https://eop.sfsu.edu) at SFSU offers a variety of support, including study rooms, events for socializing with other students, and the EOP Cafe, which is open on Mondays. It’s a place where I can grab a coffee and a snack while engaging in conversations with other students.

As a Latina student, college has often been something that is avoided due to cultural norms that emphasize entering the workforce right after high school. While this is a common occurrence within LatinX households, higher education has opened many doors for me, and I believe it will continue to do so for my career.

Finding the right community in college can make your college experience go smoothly. Having resources like the LatinX Student Center is an amazing asset to utilize. The LatinX Student Center hosts great events that bring the LatinX community together.

As a senior and a Latina, my college experience has been the best years of my life. I am grateful for my family’s courage and strength in supporting my education and life path. If you are a LatinX student or a future student, always remember that you have all the knowledge in the world, and you are capable of achieving anything you set your mind to, most importantly, ¡sí se puede!

Brianna Pacheco

San Francisco '24

Hey everyone :) My name is Brianna Pacheco I am from Los Angeles, Ca. I am a Comm major and Marketing minor here at SFSU. A few things I love is matcha, Taylor Swift, reading, and writing. I enjoy writing as a form of self expression and a way to get out all my thoughts and ideas *ੈ✩‧₊˚ Socials @always.bri__ on insta ♡