This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

“Gone Girl” has been the talk of the town lately. Going in, I had only read a one-sentence description so I really wasn’t sure what to expect. Some people had said it was good and others were disappointed, but after seeing it myself, I really liked it. It does have its twists and honestly, the first one was predictable, but I feel as though that did not lessen the experience of the film as it was exposed fairly early on. I felt it cleverly combined perspectives and its perfect pacing allowed the story to unfold naturally. I was certainly surprised a few times in the film and its’ subtlety is astounding. There are numerous moments in which character relationships suddenly expose themselves as being completely different or more intense relationships than I had previously thought. It was jammed-packed with a jerk of stances, making you question which direction it would go. The story and the characters could really get under your skin and make you feel incredibly unsettled. Rosamund Pike was particularly outstanding. The music was also a great addition; the connection of playing the same music in the beginning and the end was cleverly done. Many people reviewed that they were dissatisfied with the ending, but I personally prefer a realistic closure than a fantasy cliché, so I suppose that bit is up to taste.

The film rates an 8.5 on IMDb and an 8 on Rotten Tomatoes, which are relatively high ratings. It was based on the novel by Gillian Flynn, who actually also wrote the screenplay (which is uncommon and pretty cool), and from what I’ve read it sounds as though it was quite close to the book. Overall, I would say this movie is definitely worth seeing. Even if you don’t find it to fit perfectly to your tastes, it will still take you for a ride and make you think. And how often do the big movies make you actually think these days? I rate this one a GO-SEE!

Alyssa Bright

San Francisco

Hey, I'm Alyssa!I have an extensive background in creative writing and film and television, having began my studies at Orange County School of the Arts for high school.I've written for HerCampus San Francisco, Content Cavalry, and GreekRank.com.I also have exceptional experience in Public Relations and Marketing which I often apply to my writing assignments.If you're interested in knowing more about my filmmaking, this is my website:alyssabrightfilms.wix.com/reel