The Misinterpretations of the Woman Gamer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Women are emerging from the shadows and standing along men to hold the title of the serious gamer. Here is a list of the three main types of “gamer girls” and what it really says about their personality.

The “types” of Women Gamers

The Serious Gamer. She sits in front of the television, her bloodshot
eyes practically glued to the screen. She wears a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, and her hair looks as though it hasn’t been washed for a few days. But she doesn’t dare stray away from the couch, because right then she’s battling Ganondorf; the villain may have defeated her five or six times, but she will never accept defeat, not even at two in the morning. Stereotypically, she’s the antisocial type, and her only friends are the characters in level 100 mage and her Nintendo 3DS. Her fashion is mediocre at best, and she’ll buy any shirt that sports the Halo symbol in the guy’s section at JC Penney.

The Casual Gamer (aka: the Tomboy). She hangs out with all the guys, and has a deep-throated laugh and isn’t ashamed to show it. She loves video games as much as the next girl, and isn’t afraid to step out of the boundaries -she’ll give anything a shot. She wears nice fitted jeans with a more feminine shirt, possibly a tee from hot topic layered with a zip-up hoodie and a denim jacket. Although she’d rather play a first-person shooter with friends, she plays alone to hone her skills.

The Seductress. She knows she’s the most attractive of her group of gamer friends. She’ll take photos sporting her game attire: a tight dress that resembles a Nintendo or an old school Gameboy. She’s totally down to play something hardcore, but also loves the childish games like Pokemon. She’s not afraid to show off the gamer inside because she’ll usually be ogled either way.

What it really means

We’re passionate. Gamer chicas really care about their hobby. We may stay up until three in the morning trying to get through one last boss battle, but that’s because we are really into our games. This passion is often misinterpreted. But hey -if you’re going to love something, love it fully. It’s a great feeling to be able jump through a hurdle and achieving master status just by continually alternating between down, forward plus down, forward, B plus G, and other combos you learned.

We’re competitive and we like to beat guys. No, boys, it’s not beginners luck—it’s pure skill. Since the beginning of time, (or technology), women have been scientifically shown to be less capable at doing certain things at the same level as men, like baseball or weightlifting.  But that does not apply in this arena.  We’re not talking about physical strength, we’re talking about having smarts and outwitting your next opponent. Women gamers don’t play coy; we play to win.

We’re probably not girly-girls.  We don’t always like cute stuff. Every now and then, Cooking Mama can be entertaining. None of us can deny that adorable yellow rabbit-mouse creature named Pikachu, either, but just because we’re feminine doesn’t mean we’re vulnerable to animals with large heads and even larger eyes. Sometimes Pikachu needs to go back into his Pokeball and let Giratina show how it’s really done. Giratina, use Aura Sphere!

Of course, that’s not what all women gamers are all about, but if we were to choose how you were to group us, it better be by our skill and not our appearance.

Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.