Jarrel Phillips; Bringing Capoeira to Tanzania

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Name: Jarrel Phillips
Age: 24
Hometown: San Francisco, CA
Major: Child Development
Favorite Quote: “The secret of life is to ‘die before you die’ – and find that there is no death.” – Eckhart Tolle, author of “ The Power of the Now”.  
His Quote: “We learn through our experiences, we must explore our world and try new things. Play is the perfect platform, especially  for the youth.”

Jarrel Phillips, an S.F. State senior, is the founder of Zanzibar Stone Town Capoeira Project, which teaches youth of all ages how to play capoeira in Zanzibar, Tanzania. Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian martial art invented by the African slaves of Brazil in the 16th century.  

As a child, Phillips became involved in gymnastics and capoeira through an enrichment program in the Fillmore District of San Francisco. He describes himself as “one of those kids that like to flip around.”  Capoeira gave him an outlet to escape and helped him focus.

During this time, he became acquainted with Mestre Urubu Malandro and Capoeira Ijexa, which drew him back to the practice at the age of 21.  Phillips was introduced to people through capoeira, who told him about some youth in Zanzibar who were interested in training in capoeira.

Phillips started working with children at the age of 14. While teaching children  in afterschool programs,  he was drawn to children’s perspectives because he learned “playing was a learning experience in its puriest form.”

To further explain his observation, he said, “It’s like when you’re exploring a kitchen [as a child] and you touch the burner [while it’s on]. You learn that it’s hot and never touch it again. We learn from our experiences.”

As a gymnastics instructor at AcroSports, he was sponsored by his job to travel to Zanzibar for his first trip. Through fundraising and hard work, Phillips started the Zanzibar Stonetown Capoeira Project. He then returned the following year to Zanzibar, bringing with him masters of capoeira, gymnasts and B-Boys to teach capoeira, acrobatics and breakdancing to the youth.

Phillips still currently teaches gymnastics at AcroSports and has also started a capoeira program for children there. In addition, he teaches capoeria across the Bay Area. The children of AcroSports will soon be belted at the 1st Annual AcroSports Children’s Batizado (batizodo is ‘baptism’ in Portuguese) on June 2, from 4-6 PM at AcroSports, located on Frederick Street in San Francisco.

He is also presently developing an organization called AVE, which is an abbreviation for “Access via Exposure” and an acronym for “Avenue.”  Ask him why and he’ll tell you, “because I hope to provide all of these opportunities to all communities and youth, especially.”

Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.