This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

People can live anywhere in the world and still want to venture out to new places that are not near home. Studying abroad is an easy way for students to do that while keeping up with school if they don’t want a gap year. Many universities provide a program that you can pay to get you through the process and carry on even when you’re at the host university. They provide trips and excursions you can go on. Sadly, San Francisco State doesn’t have that program, so students must really do things on their own. 

For those who have never been outside the country the process can be quite difficult because dealing with passports and visas are not for the weak. Before even thinking about going abroad, students should think about the money portion because it will not be enough. Traveling in Europe is much cheaper than traveling in the States. A round trip from France to Barcelona is only 50 euros. Traveling will be an addiction because there are so many little towns and sites to see that are amazing. 

There are two stages that will hit someone going abroad quickly, which are euphoria and irritation. Entering a different country and living there on your own seems like bliss. New places to see and different food to try. After, not having your normal daily things will make one annoyed. It’s natural because people are so used to how things are done in a specific way that when it’s done a totally different way it’s weird. For example, public transportation will never be the same and you will probably get lost at least once. 

Going abroad is exciting and everyone raves about it, but they will never show you the truth to the other part, which is that you will learn how to be alone. This can be a positive thing though – maybe not at first. Making friends in a new country may not seem like the easiest thing, but if you’re going to a school with an international program then there are people just like you. This is the time to figure out how you like living- if you decide to live on your own. 

Housing is less expensive than the states. Students can find apartments in little towns for 700 euros or cheaper. Off campus housing is preferred by students to get the full experience of living abroad, which makes sense if the school isn’t close to any towns. If France is an option, towns like Antibes and Juan Les Pins are considered the best towns for students. They have little town centers that make grocery shopping easy and have different cafes to sit and relax at. 

Studying abroad is worth the hype but decide for yourself. Every decision has pros and cons, but being in a different country does make a difference. This is also something that can be put on a resume as San Francisco State gives you an official certificate. 

Nadia Castro

San Francisco '23

Hey Everyone! I'm Nadia Castro, a journalism major here at San Francisco State University. I received my Associates degree at Chaffey Community College, and now working on my Bachelor's. Currently, I'm an intern for the journalism department at SF State. Now the fun things about me is that I love to explore and call them "adventures". I love reading books in my spare time, so if you want to gossip about a new read I'm your girl! Anywhere near the water feels like home to me. I'm excited for Her Campus!