Art from the Neuro Blooms Exhibition being show at the Stamp Student Union
Stamp Gallery

How to Help with the Genocide in Gaza

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

With the ongoing genocide that is occurring in Palestine it can be incredibly difficult to feel like everything is normal. When viewing and absorbing all forms of media it can be very easy to internalize much of the hardships that are being illustrated, leaving a feeling of great helplessness. I have always found it overwhelming when the mass media begins to spread all the necessary information regarding current issues. Though it is incredibly crucial to relay information, it is easy to find ourselves confused and unsure of how to help. Thus, looking within the media I was able to find some answers. To keep myself updated with any and all current events I follow an Instagram account called “so.informed.” They help to list five main ways in which we are able to contribute aid during these difficult times: 

1. Contact Congress – 
  • With the United States government playing a large role in funding certain aspects of the events that are occurring in Gaza, it is an important reminder that we do have an active voice that should be heard. During times like this, it is also helpful to remember that it is okay to separate ourselves from our government. 
  • Two resources that so.informed suggest to help outline what a call to our Congress members is Jewish Voice for Peace and U.S. Campaign for Palestinian Rights. 
  1. Bookmark – 
  • Another resource that so.informed presents is from The Associated Press’ Fact Check which maintains an updated forum that helps dispel any misinformation that could and is being spread regarding the Gaza events. 
  • Reading on the history of both countries helps in grasping an understanding of why such events are occurring and why those around us are reacting in the ways they are; therefore, also aiding in preventing further misinformation as well as misunderstanding. 
  1. Donate – 
  • With respect to those who are unable to, those who are can donate to organizations that are on ground zero. Though we are across the world, we can still find ways to be with those organizations through modes such as donations. 
  • So.informed suggests donating to the following organizations
  1. Medical Aid for Palestinians – map.org.uk 
  2. Palestine Children’s Relief Fund – pcrf.net 
  3. The World Food Programme – wfp.org  
  4. Doctors without Borders – doctorswithoutborders.org
  5.  UNRWA – unrwausa.org 
  1. Read – 
  • There are many books that so.informed suggests that can be helpful in further understanding or taking a beginners deep dive into the conflict between Israel and Palestine; ​​Light in Gaza: Writing Born of Fire by Jehad Abusalim is one of six books that are presented. 
  1. Watch – 
  • Lastly, the wonderful aspect of media and the internet in general is the abundance of information that can be found that is also easily accessible. So.informed suggests many videos, the one produced by Vox is one I highly recommend watching. Outside of the ones that are proposed, you can also look up documentaries and/or other articles/books that you may be interested in for further education regarding the issue. 

Don’t easily drown in all the information that is found within the media, take action.

Manisha Singh

San Francisco '24

Hi, my name is Manisha :) I am a junior at SFSU and am majoring in Sociology with a minor in Business Administration. I transferred to SFSU in the Spring of 2023 from community college where I worked as an English Tutor. I have always loved writing and reading as it helps to create a welcoming and relatable space for all areas of my life. I hope to help cultivate this same space for other women.