Style

How Horror Movie Icons are Making Their Way Into Fall Fashion Each Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

As we head into the fall season and begin watching our spooky favorites, we may start to notice the similarities between today’s fashion and the historic movie characters that fabricated our spooky obsessions. Let’s take a look at some of the most inspirational and freaky characters that have creeped into our latest fall fashion.

Casey Becker

From the 1996 classic Scream, Drew Barrymore opens the movie with an iconic phone call that leads to her gruesome death. Although she only appears in the movie for a short amount of time, she manages to remind fashionistas of a practical yet elegant piece: Linen Sweaters. Even covered in blood, Casey’s linen sweater showcased feminine simplicity and introduced a new staple needed in our closets. Linen sweaters can be paired with jeans, skirts, or even over a dress, and can be worn in all different colors. The character Casey Becker pairs her Linen J. Crew sweater with a violet Katherine Hamnet jean. Either dressed up with tons of jewelry and heels or dressed down with mom jeans and sneakers, a linen sweater is perfect for fall. It’s a staple fall piece that helps you fight off that autumn breeze in style.

Emerald Haywood

Quite like her name, the character Emerald from the hit movie Nope by Jordan Peele, gives audiences countless looks that incorporate green. Green, usually seen as a summer or spring color, has been making its way into fall fashion as it serves a “witchy” look. Emerald, played by the gorgeous Keke Palmer, wears thick green cardigans, green pants, and she also incorporates green sportswear into her fashion. 

Green is best paired with black, yellow, dark/ light washed jeans, white, and blue. Green is also a never-ending shade, making it universal and a color that can match with almost anything if you have the right eye. We can start by buying a green cardigan and pairing it with different outfits like jeans and a light T or overtop a floral dress. If you’re going for that witchy look this fall, pair a green cardigan with black pinstripe pants, a white or black top, and chunky shoes like Doc Martens or Boots. Although most of us were distracted by Keke Palmer’s amazing performance in this scary film, fashionistas noticed her embracing a vibrant color that would soon make its way to the fall fashion trends. 

Wendy Torrance

From one of the biggest horror movie classics The Shining, Shelley Duval plays the helpless wife who gets mentally tormented by her psychotic husband. While Shelley’s acting is absolutely phenomenal, we see her character’s costumes, and often get distracted by the brilliance of them. Wendy’s fashion consists of lots of bright colors and tons of plaid. In one scene she is seen wearing a blue plaid dress, a pattern we are seeing more and more of as we head into the fall season. She also introduced audiences to overall-dresses. 

Overalls have been a huge up and coming staple in autumn fashion. They can be paired with knit sweaters, hoodies, and baby T.’s. Wendy shows audiences how to wear an overall dress as she pairs the piece with a turtleneck and a plaid patterned overshirt. She also incorporates leg warmers into her day-to-day style, another fall trend that is practical for the weather but adds something chic to your look. Just like Wendy saves her son at the end of the movie, she also saved the legacy of plaid patterns and overalls in the fashion industry. 

Horror movies are a huge part of fall and getting into the Halloween spirit. We pick up fashion trends from the iconic characters that lie within these movies. It’s incredible that audiences can be creatively inspired while watching these films. No matter what horror movie you watch, you’re most likely going to see a character who resembles the fall trends of today. So, as we watch these spooky movies, be sure to pay attention to the characters’ outfits and see if you get fashionably influenced! And don’t pick up any suspicious phone calls…

Livia Williams

San Francisco '26

Hello! My name is Livia Williams I am currently a second year at SFSU majoring in journalism. I am a huge advocate for social justice issues and find pride in addressing the inequality that sadly still exists within our societies. I like to tell stories from women all over the world and captivate readers into understanding the obstacles they face on a day to day basis. I hope to provide women with a sense of peace when they read my work and gift them with the realization that they are not alone, and we are all in this together.