House Hunting 101; Tips on how to find your perfect SF home!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

So it’s the end of another semester and summer is just around the corner. It’s time to start preparing for a new year before packing your bags and heading home!

Finding a new place to live can be a stressful experience, but once you find your perfect future home, it will all have been worth it!

Here are some house hunting tips that will help you avoid some common bumps in the road when looking for housing.

1. Avoid Scams.
Craigslist has been a favorite source for college students to find their future apartment or house. Although a great tool, the people on the internet may not always be trustworthy. Scams can be avoided by remaining cautious. Do not hand out personal information without being positive of whom is receiving it and do not sign documents until you are sure what you are signing.

2. Be prepared!
There is nothing worse than looking for a home when you are not exactly sure what you are looking for. You must prepare ahead of time! Whether you are living with roommates or on your own, make a list of what you are searching for and what questions you may have for the landlord. How many bedrooms do you need? Are utilities included in rent? Is it close to school or public transportation? San Francisco can be an expensive city to live in, so it is also good to know your price range.

3. Don’t let time slip away from you!
Suddenly it is May and you are quickly becoming aware that houses are quickly being filled by fellow students. Do not fret! There is still time and if you are prepared (see tip 2!) you should be just fine. Time is a huge factor in house hunting for many reasons. Making appointments with landlords to see homes is a great opportunity to see the interior and get to know your possible landlord, so do not be late! Public transportation has failed for all of us at one time or another and not allowing yourself enough time to get to a showing can result in disaster, so make sure to give yourself plenty of extra time.

4. Stay calm!
Staying calm will make the house hunting process go much smoother and remember to breathe!

Happy House Hunting!

Jordan Hunter

San Francisco

Jordan Hunter is a junior at San Francisco State University where she is majoring in Journalism and still deciding on her minor. Aside from being the new Campus Correspondent of Her Campus San Francisco, working at Bath and Body Works, and attempting to find time to sleep, she likes to laugh at her own jokes, drink an unhealthy amount of coffee, and pretend she is Carrie Bradshaw. A San Diego native, she also loves the outdoors and sunshine, which is unfortunate because of the San Francisco year-round fog. You can find out more about her and all her adventures on Twitter at @jo_mi_hu. 
Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.