Hot Take! The Nightmare Before Christmas Is A Halloween Movie!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

The Internet is no stranger to controversy and less than popular opinions; yet it seems as though no other debate has disturbed the peace more than answering the question: Is the Nightmare Before Christmas a Halloween or Christmas movie? While a seemingly obvious answer, the rest of the world has yet to land on the correct answer: Halloween! Without fail, the amount of people willing to die on the hill of Christmas is indescribably shocking – and while I try to maintain understanding for those poor troubled individuals, it is time for the undeniable truth to come to light! The Nightmare Before Christmas is a Halloween movie – no questions asked. 

At this point, I must assume that I have lost a fair amount of people reading this article; however, for those remaining, I urge you to keep reading, as below you find undisputed proof of a Halloween classic.

Reason #1: Perhaps the smallest detail of evidence – yet still exceptionally relevant – is the actual release date of the film. In all its glory, The Nightmare Before Christmas was released on October 13th, 1993. As the creepiest date of the month, aside from Halloween (obviously!), the release date makes for a solid foundation for its Halloween-codedness. 

Reason #2: In getting into the technical aspects of the film, it is impossible to ignore how all the necessary details point very much in the direction of Halloween. With palette and the characters shown within the duration of the movie (pictures shown below), there are clear inspirations being taken from the themes/characters/and colors consistent with fall and Halloween. Even “Sandy Claws”, himself, follows the darker and eerie presentation of the folks of Halloweenteen.

xztdGu1gwDpHiDf9NvkIE90IaBIvRYKAaEZjTK81yg1QhXF5trNBk9IPSdkH4WTTQbbl WaQyH1yZct2wYRjRYIa9EpysK5 4p1n6peY69XmvhwOkaiWzQQ2Gw77fTT7qPRwfhInP0rhXx9 tvN2IqoHU3c9Lb nKX1TvXoixvUNeNPudDyhLyYwpNScxDj9WHx4iGBi5Uvly 7MZAw54c ZB4GIjz pCufneVQG0NuJ1UQHTbhOrGUWH71aZ1zHOC1N5Nw4O3BLAbAaCYwmH 4jLA

In reference to the plot alone, it is necessary to acknowledge most of the film is occurring in “Halloweentown” (pictured below) – clearing establishing Halloween as the dominant force at play.

xTYupk EoNbFVkAzfltxvFIkiLkp L8nhlGZxQ bmphjmKnkHsdJ3p9A7jeARouslDMNFkGqe2t4kEg6IbbFq0S2jCYK39EMPsAGl5WFeN2QSoy6YXaDuQhT6JU5WEY7lxB2QxJ CSV0PiQO2NlSVAV9VCXljI8VE8h 1cXr3ye4VnBDr0g5cW7vdg

Reason #3: Without giving away too much of the plot (Her Campus takes spoilers very seriously, everyone … Just kidding! Who hasn’t seen this movie?), the film is very clear in establishing that it is Halloween seeping into the practices and spirit of Christmas – not the other way around! In once again establishing Halloween as the holiday capable of such influence and power, it very clearly becomes the superior holiday – and thus, in having an opinion so favorable of Halloween, it becomes a rightful Halloween movie!

Reason #4: For the final piece of evidence in this very serious conversation, there are notes from the creators themselves. Danny Elfman, the composer for the film, said that “It’s Obviously about Christmas, but for me, it’s a Halloween movie” in a 2019 interview with USA Today. Similarly, director Henry Selick, ended the discussion by announcing “It’s a Halloween movie” at a Q&A at the 2015 ColoradoTelluride Horror Show film festival. 

Despite this glaringly obvious proof, those promoting the Christmas movie agenda often cite:

Reason 1: NOTHING!

Reason 2: Just kidding! Usually, the opposing team offers the importance of Christmas to the plot and the characters; however, while it is incredibly important to recognize the importance of Christmas and the Christmas themes within the movie, that does not negate the fact that Christmas is simply a plot device for the Halloween town members and Halloween agenda. Almost every aspect of the film, from creators to actual content, solidifies its rightful place as a Halloween movie!

Izabella Garcia

San Francisco '25

Hello everyone! I'm Izabella Garcia! My pronouns are: [she/her]. I'm a member of the writing team for Her Campus San Francisco! I am currently a second year student at San Francisco State University and as of right now, I'm studying under the Journalism and BECA departments. Some fun facts about me: I am a film/TV fanatic! I will watch anything and everything, good or bad :) I love to read, write, and most of the arts generally – so send me any recommendations you may have! I'm a big believer in helping others, so I am always open to a chat. And mostly, I'm so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!