This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

As Taylor Swift once said “….and plaid stuff, and ankle boots, and not caring about people making fun of pumpkin stuff because you love it and are happy it’s all the rage! And people who dress their dogs up on halloween, and fire, and fireplaces, and maroon, and baking your first batch of fall cookies, but you put too much cinnamon in it because you’re too excited because it’s fall!”  Once the holiday season starts to roll around, it’s time to face the fact that summer is definitely on its way out and it is officially time to welcome fall, the best season of them all. There is no better feeling than walking down a beautiful tree lined street with burnt orange and fiery red leaves crunching under your feet, breathing in the crisp fall air, and the first sip of a warm pumpkin spiced drink. If you aren’t sure how, here’s a few ways to romanticize autumn and embrace the changing of the seasons! 

Fall is the best opportunity to step up your fashion game with colorful knitwear, knee high boots, long maxi skirts, maxi dresses, tights, hats, scarves, and big ol jackets. Try to transition your current wardrobe into your fall wardrobe by incorporating some layers such as a long sleeve under your favorite dress, leg warmers and tights under a skirt, or an oversized leather jacket. In the mood for some romance, comedy and drama? Cozy up under toasty blankets on the couch by the T.V to watch your annual rerun of Gilmore Girls! Even better if you accompany your watch with some yummy takeout food just like Lorelai and Rory would do. Curate your perfect fall playlist with your favorite artists so that you can accompany the pretty scenery outside with the right tunes. 

It’s the perfect season to take your friends and family out to a pumpkin patch to choose the perfect pumpkin to carve and make the day even more pumpkin themed by treating them to yummy seasonal desserts such as pumpkin spiced cinnamon rolls or a pumpkin drink from Starbucks. If you’re more into the spooky aspects of the season, then get ahead of the crowds and start visiting family friendly haunted houses and maze events in the city. Up for bigger scares? San Francisco is known to be one of the most haunted cities in the US, so luckily for you there are quite a few haunted ghost tours around the city! The Haunt is a ghost hunting walking tour that takes you through the historic neighborhoods of the Gold Rush era on foot after dark accompanied by ghost hunting tools. The guide will inform your group all about SF’s dark past including past crime and tragedies so make sure you keep an eye out for any paranormal activity. The Alcatraz Night Tour is also a terrifyingly haunting attraction, not necessarily a tour but still one of the spookier events in SF.  Personally, one of my favorite things to do regardless of the season is visit the Stonestown Farmers Market and browse the selection of organic and delicious  in-season produce. Every Sunday from 9am until 1pm behind the Stonestown Mall, local farmers gather in the parking lot with their stands of produce, homemade crafts and goods to sell whilst they are often accompanied by live music and food trucks. Associated Students at SF State also hosts their very own farmers market on campus every Thursday from 10am until 3pm in an effort to support local businesses and make fresh produce accessible to every student. Check out the neighborhood’s lively scene and buy yourself a beautiful autumnal bouquet of flowers! 

As much as we all love the warmth of the sun and the feeling of endless days of fun, there are plenty of great things to look forward to as the seasons change. So wish summer a farewell and get excited for the beginning of fall, especially now that you know just how to welcome it with open arms. 

Galilea Madrid

San Francisco '25

Hi hi! My name is Galilea Madrid & I'm from Los Angeles, California. I'm currently a Biology major with a concentration in Ecology, Evolution and Conservation at San Francisco State aspiring to become a future veterinarian. I'm passionate about a multitude of topics such as pop culture, film, music, literature, fashion, activism, politics, and sustainability. I love live music, reading, astronomy, writing, traveling, and the ocean! ✩ follow me on insta & twitter at @galil8a ✩