Winterbreak Hero
Winterbreak Hero
Neula Ha/ Her Campus Media
Style > Decor

Girl Construction: College Dorm Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Creating a cozy environment is key for students, whether you are embarking on your college journey or enjoying your last academic year. Being able to transform your dorm into your own space is essential, especially for those who may be experiencing homesickness. Not only is creating a comfortable and stylish room a remedy for homesickness, but it is also an opportunity to reflect on your personality and establish a space where you feel safe and secure.

Finding the right posters or pictures to adorn your walls can be quite a challenge. Constructing your room to be trendy will give your dorm an overall inviting look and sense of character. Your dorm room should reflect your identity and embrace your hobbies and passions. You can experiment with different poster sizes and incorporate family pictures to make your walls uniquely yours.

Whether you’re a fan of popular singers such as Harry Styles or Taylor Swift, the possibilities for decor are endless. From a Harry Styles shrine to a fangirl poster wall, my dorm is adorned with posters from various music artists, movies, and postcards from around the world. Upon entering my dorm apartment, you will be greeted with an assortment of Harry Styles pictures, which my roommates and I like to call “The Harry Styles Shrine.” In our living room, you can find adorable plants in their pots, along with pictures of famous actors and bands.

As a fangirl myself, I love to decorate my room walls with a multitude of posters and pictures that include my favorite artists and icons. I draw inspiration from sites such as Pinterest and create endless layouts and aesthetics for my dorm room. Though showcasing your personality is crucial in creating your cozy and safe space, you must not forget about other elements such as bedding, furniture, and lighting. Choosing stylish bedding and pillows will not only provide a restful sleep but also bring style into your dorm.

Ambiance is also a critical factor for your living situation. Whether you like the soothing aroma of fragrant candles or the warm glow of fairy lights on the wall, your dorm can be whatever you make it. Selecting chic furniture and incorporating various lighting sources is a stylish choice. From string lights to desk lights and floor lamps, you can illuminate your dorm with sufficient light.

Don’t forget to express your personality and character through various small details that make you who you are. For instance, my roommate displays her love for capybaras with photos on her wall and her passion for supporting local artists through a spam picture and various postcards. Incorporating all these different elements in your college dorm construction will help you craft a comfortable and unique room or apartment.

Brianna Pacheco

San Francisco '24

Hey everyone :) My name is Brianna Pacheco I am from Los Angeles, Ca. I am a Comm major and Marketing minor here at SFSU. A few things I love is matcha, Taylor Swift, reading, and writing. I enjoy writing as a form of self expression and a way to get out all my thoughts and ideas *ੈ✩‧₊˚ Socials @always.bri__ on insta ♡