Exciting Things Happening in San Francisco This April

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

San Francisco is well known for its sense of community gatherings and for creating all types of activities for different interests. Here are five of those events for the month of April!

1. SFFILM Festival 4/13-23

The SFFILM is a nonprofit organization granting the opportunity for independent voices in film to have a platform to showcase their productions. This event has been the most extensive film festival in the Americas, ultimately assisting independent filmmakers in the Bay Area with grants, residency, and support so that they can continue to pursue their passions without worrying about external obstacles. The SFFILM festival will begin on April 13th and end on the 23rd. You can get your tickets by clicking the link in the title!

1. Attend the annual Northern California Cherry Blossom Festival 4/15-16

The annual Northern California Cherry Blossom Festival is one of the most prominent examples of traditional Asian celebrations on the West Coast. This event was created to celebrate Japanese and Japanese American culture by acknowledging the meaning of cherry blossoms. In Japan, the cherry blossom represents “a time of renewal and the fleeting nature of life.” Better catch ‘em fast! As the entire symbolization surrounding cherry blossoms derives from the fact they carry short lives. This event will be taking place on April 15th and 16th.  

1. Strictly For The Ladies 4/21 

This one is Strictly For the Ladies! This event is taking place at the Vanity in San Francisco on Friday, April 21st. Ladies get to come together to enjoy drinks and dance to the grooviest R&B beats. Having a night dedicated to celebrating women is just exactly what we need to let loose and have fun! Snatch your tickets by clicking the link in the title!

1. Screen printing pop-ups 4/15-22

San Francisco’s Park Alliance non-profit organization recently announced the return of the ‘Heart Your Parks’ campaign that promotes the admiration that the residents of San Francisco have for the city’s parks through free events. On each Saturday of the month, park-goers are invited to execute prints designed by Orlie K. on provided paper. Each event will attribute a design print specific to the park where the event takes place. Here are the location and dates: 

Duboce Park – April 15, 2023

Golden Gate Park – April 22, 2023

1. Cesar Chavez Day Parade 4/29 

Civil rights leader Cesar Chavez is known for his activism in the city and is recognized in California as a holiday. The importance of this holiday is to recognize the impact of his activism and how his strike ultimately created change within the United Farm Workers of America, especially Latinos in this group. Although Cesar Chavez Day has passed, the city is hosting a parade in honor of his influence at Dolores Park on April 29th. 

Most of these events are free and open to the public (except for Strictly Ladies Night, that one is for the girlies). Hope to see you there!

Molly Gutierrez

San Francisco '24

Hi! My name is Molly Gutierrez and I am currently a 3rd year at San Francisco State University majoring in Ethnic Studies with a focus on Race and Resistance, and a double minor in journalism and marketing. I am on the writing team at the San Francisco Chapter, and extremely grateful for the opportunity to be apart of this community! I am passionate about subjects such as MUSIC, pop culture, social justice, media, and self-care. I hope to relay my knowledge of these topics to whomever is willing to read it.