College Men on College Girls: Turn offs & Turn Ons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Men—particularly young men—often get a bad rep for being picky, shallow, immature -you name it. However, this isn’t always the case, and not every young adult male deserves this reputation.

Men may be picky but it has less to do with physical attraction than society makes it seem. While being attracted to someone physically can be important, men actually care way more about making a genuine connection with someone.

I decided to talk a few local college guys and ask their opinions on turn offs and turn ons when it comes to their views on college women.

Turn Offs

1. Pretending to be dumb.

For whatever reason, some college girls think they can grab a guy’s attention by playing off as if they are not smart. Perhaps they think guys want to be the smarter one in a relationship (who knows why, we’d love to marry a doctor too) but I don’t know where that belief came from.

“I don’t like girls who pretend to be dumb because they think it’s cute. Like if a girl at a party says ‘I’m sooo blonde!'” – Austin, SFSU

2. Smoking cigarettes

Just like a lot of girls don’t like guys who smoke, well, it’s a two-way street. This is especially the case for those of us attending college in the year 2012, who grew up in elementary school with tons of programs like D. A. R. E.,which taught us how bad smoking is for you.  Now it’s almost strange see young people smoke, in the states at least.

“Habitual smoking is a turn off” -Dominic, SFSU

“I could kiss an ash tray if I wanted to” -Austin, SFSU

3. Not being able to keep up a Conversation and Silent Treatment

Nobody likes awkward pauses. Being able to carry a conversation is huge.  It’s lets us know that you are engaged and have personality.  At the same time though, remember to give the guy a chance to talk as well. Don’t spend the entire date telling your life story -make sure the conversations are balanced.

“I prefer they talk a fair amount [when it’s] just me and them, but [when] in a group [I] prefer that they are reading the group and not blabbing on and on” -Justin UCSC

Also, the “silent treatment” is usually an absolute turn off.  Too often in relationships both parties assume things and don’t share their honest feelings. Nothing will be resolved if nobody can say what the problem is and talk about it. Holding back your feelings doesn’t help in any way. It may sound cliché’ but honesty is the best policy. You have to communicate.

“Girls who hide their feelings, -total turn off” -Tanmaya, Sonoma State.

Turn Ons

1. Playing Hard to Get

Now this comes with a caveat, this may not necessarily be the way most guys feel, but it’s all about balance. We want to work, but not for girls who will completely put in no effort in the end. There has to be some give and take. It’s complicated. However, Austin puts it into perspective quite nicely when he says:

“I want you to not want me and then let me convince you otherwise. I’d rather fail a thousand times that way then just take someone who will ‘give it up’ easy” -Austin, SFSU.

2. A love of sports (at least be aware, and willing to learn)

Not all heterosexual men are into sports, but a lot of them are. We’re not saying you have to be as into sports as we are, but at least have some knowledge of the general sports scene. It’s attractive when girls can get into a physical activity.  Especially when girls get involved with intermural sports at college.

“If they know about sports that’s hot” -Ryan B., SJSU

“I prefer that they like at least one sport” -Justin, UCSC

3. Flirting: the little things

“Rule #32- enjoy the little things.” –Zombieland (2009).

There are so many little things that girls can do that can be major turn-ons and a lot of it has to do with your body language.

“Hard to explain, but when a girl giggles and turns away with her hand on her mouth, but still keeps eye contact or at least looks back” -Justin UCSC

“When a girl rolls her eyes jokingly and then makes eye contact and smiles at you.” -Andrew, SFSU.

4.  Being unexpectedly outgoing

Guys love the unexpected.

“Being genuinely friendly and showing interest. I am always surprised by a girl who always says hi or strikes up conversation because I assume I have to do the work.  Even if she’s not particularly hot I will be attracted to that” -Ryan S., SFSU.

Andrew Bensch

San Francisco

Andrew is a rising senior at San Francisco State University majoring in broadcast journalism. While he hopes to some day work in the sports media industry, becoming a professional columnist for a women's magazine is also on his radar. While in college Andrew has contributed sports columns to such sites like Foxsports.com, Insidehockey.com, and Bleacherreport.com. But don't be fooled, he isn't just your typical jock, after all he is willing to admit he actually loves chick flicks like "27 Dresses" "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton" and "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days". He also enjoys shows like "The OC", "One Tree Hill", "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" and "Teen Wolf" and wonders aloud why more college men don't open up about their love for these types of programs.
Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.