Avoiding the Caffeine Crash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Two weeks ago, I caved. One late afternoon in a weak moment, I ordered my first cup in many months: a delicious maple latte. Although I enjoy my fair share of coffee-flavored sweets, I normally don’t drink coffee. However, these were special circumstances. I had a paper to write, and I was so exhausted I was failing miserably at the endeavor. My to-do list was piling up, and things were not being crossed out at a timely rate. Days of waking up at dawn to go to work followed by late nights of school work had finally taken a toll. I needed instant energy. I needed a caffeine fix, and coffee appeared to be the answer.

Needless to say, the coffee worked. In a flurry of productivity I managed to complete my paper and some other tasks on my list. I was full of energy… until it happened. The caffeine had run its course and the infamous crash followed, leaving me feeling worse off than before.

So, what can one do to avoid or lessen the effects of the inevitable crash that follows the consumption of coffee while at the same time energize yourself?

1. Consume food with your coffee.

For those of us who must have our coffee fix, taking in some food along with coffee slows down the absorption of the caffeine. You will still experience the effects of the coffee, but you won’t experience the enormous crash you would have were you to drink it on an empty stomach.

2. Turn to tea.

I am a tea lover. Rarely does a day go by that I don’t consume a cup of tea. Luckily, some teas contain a fair amount of caffeine that becomes indispensible when you need it!

Source

Here are some options of caffeinated tea:

• Yerba mate: This traditional Argentinian drink has become a trendy alternative to coffee in recent years. Its smoky flavor may take some getting used to, but it works. Yerba mate will keep you awake, and best of all, there is no caffeine crash!
  • Black tea: Possibly the most popular tea in the world, black tea has a third of the caffeine in coffee. It has also been known to decrease stress levels and promote cardiovascular health.
  • Green tea: Touted as a metabolism booster and one of the healthiest beverages you can drink, green tea works well for those who merely need a small jolt of caffeine. It is also milder than yerba mate and black tea.

3. Exercise.

Take a walk, go for a run, or maybe practice some yoga. Any activity that will get your body moving will work. Not only does exercise decrease stress, but it also does wonders for your energy levels.

4. Spend some time with friends.

Friends are our support system. They are the ones who make us laugh, relax, and have fun. With all the stress we experience, spending some time with friends is a sure way to re-energize ourselves.

Source

5. Take a small nap.

And sometimes nothing will work but a small nap. Listen to your body’s signals. You’ll wake up feeling recharged and ready to tackle new challenges.

Elizabeth Lee

San Francisco

Elizabeth is currently a junior at San Francisco State University where she is studying Comparative Literature. She enjoys writing, learning foreign languages, and yoga.