Arielle Jones; Fiction Editor of Transfer Magazine and Runway Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Name: Arielle Jones
Age: 20
Major: Creative Writing
Year: Junior 

Q: What do you do for fun? What are some of your hobbies?

A: When I get the chance, I love getting cozy with a new book, especially from an author I know. It’s as if there’s an agreement that, although I won’t know exactly what will happen in this particular journey, I can have faith that a certain caliber of storytelling will be delivered. Besides reading, I’m rather smitten with writing short story fiction. Whatever the details of my stories, I’ll admit to having a slight obsession with vulnerability and chivalry. As for non-literary hobbies, I like trying new things, gaming (Xbox 360), meditating, and checking out unfamiliar places in San Francisco.

Q: What is your position at Transfer Magazine? What are the responsibilities of this position?

A: At Transfer Magazine I’ve been honored to serve as a Fiction Editor this semester. The responsibilities of this position include proofreading, keeping weary of deadlines, and, my favorite part, problem solving with consideration toward both the author’s and journal’s ambitions.

Q: What is your opinion of the magazine? Do you like working there?

A: I believe that Transfer is such a great opportunity for Creative Writing majors and students of other disciplines alike. There is no set theme for any of the issues of Transfer. This gives us the ability each semester to accept varieties of work that individually provide a quality reading experience. With all the different writing voices present within a single issue, you’re able to conveniently explore as a reader.

I honestly relish working at Transfer. I started by taking a course as a student staff member and I really wasn’t expecting to continue beyond that, but I fell for editing. I found gratification in the challenge of trying to understand another person’s ambitions simply through a piece of art they’d submitted, and the process of tinkering with the what if’s of a story until the meanings slid into place.

Q: What do you plan on doing after you graduate?

A: Editing for Transfer has definitely played a role with my future plans after graduation. Aside from my plans of continuing to submit and write fiction pieces, I’d like to aid other authors as an editor. To keep myself headed in that direction, I’m keeping my eyes open for internships, proofreading opportunities, anything to build up my reliability in this area of literature. The tentative plan is to take a year off before returning for a Masters.

Q: I heard you model. Where/Or for what companies have you modeled before? Do you have/want future plans in modeling?

A: Yes, I’ve been on and off with modeling. During my earlier teen years I did some work in my hometown, Fresno. I predominately do runway (I don’t feel photogenic at all.) So far I’ve worn designers such as St. John, Jones New York, BCBG, DKNY, as well as a few boutiques throughout California and a couple from abroad. Recently over Spring Break I received an amazing offer to work in New York. Nothing is quite solidified because I still have a year left before I graduate, but it’s seeming that I might be over there this summer. It hasn’t quite hit me yet, and the excitement comes in waves. I’ve never been to New York before and I don’t have any friends or family near those parts so for now I’m treating almost like studying abroad. It’s more of a fun and unexpected adventure for me than a dream come true.

Q: What is your best advice you have for college girls to be successful?

A: I suppose if I had any advice in particular for college girls to be successful, I would first recommend realizing how you are ultimately responsible for your choices. This is your go at life. Contribute yourself to what you find worth fighting for. I find that’s the most rewarding work, both emotionally and goal-wise. The two quotes that I find myself remembering often are “Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you.” by Ralph Waldo Emerson, and the often deciphered proverb, “This too shall pass.” All things are temporary, get from them what you will. 

*PHOTO BY ANISA BERRY

Jordan Hunter

San Francisco

Jordan Hunter is a junior at San Francisco State University where she is majoring in Journalism and still deciding on her minor. Aside from being the new Campus Correspondent of Her Campus San Francisco, working at Bath and Body Works, and attempting to find time to sleep, she likes to laugh at her own jokes, drink an unhealthy amount of coffee, and pretend she is Carrie Bradshaw. A San Diego native, she also loves the outdoors and sunshine, which is unfortunate because of the San Francisco year-round fog. You can find out more about her and all her adventures on Twitter at @jo_mi_hu. 
Jessica Schimm

San Francisco

Jessica is journalism major finishing her senior year at San Francisco State University. She founded and lead San Francisco State’s Her Campus branch as Editor-in-Chief for two semesters and now helps run it as managing editor due to other internships responsibilities.  Her passion for magazine and online journalism has led her current online internships at 7x7 and California Home & Design magazines in San Francisco. She also was the social media editor for her award-winning college paper last semester.When Jessica is not working hard in school she spends her time working on her blog, Women Who Run San Francisco and cheering on the San Francisco Giants (world series champs!!). Having been a competitive Irish dancer for 15 years, she knows that it takes practice, hard work and determination to meet her goals. It is through these qualities that she plans to become editor-in-chief at a leading women’s magazine.