Culture > News

All You Need to Know About the Possible TikTok Ban 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

You may have recently heard the news about the popular social media app TikTok, being banned in several countries across the world. The app has not been banned yet, but the White House, along with other governments, are trying to ban and remove the app completely. 

The big question is why? According to research, TikTok is owned by a Chinese company called Byte Dance. Lawmakers claim their suspicion comes from the theory that Byte Dance may put sensitive user data into the hands of the Chinese government or will be using TikTok’s content recommendations for misinformation. 

This fight has been going on for nearly three years. Countries like France, the Netherlands, and Norway have issued orders banning the app as well. These countries along with the United States have banned TikTok from government-issued devices. TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew has denied the theories presented by congress and has suggested a shift from the company Byte Dance. 

Shou Zi Chew held his ground in court as he testified before congress nearly a week ago defending the app and its intentions regarding American user data. His trial oddly became viral on social media and the CEO has gained tons of attention and support from TikTok users who want to keep the app available. 

The app can still be downloaded through the app store as the ban hasn’t become official for all citizens. However, the White House and other Lawmakers feel suspicious when it comes to the app and its relations and will continue to fight for the ban. 

If you feel strongly about this situation and feel the app is needed to stay, you can call your local representative to present ideas on why the app should be here for good.

Livia Williams

San Francisco '26

Hello! My name is Livia Williams I am currently a second year at SFSU majoring in journalism. I am a huge advocate for social justice issues and find pride in addressing the inequality that sadly still exists within our societies. I like to tell stories from women all over the world and captivate readers into understanding the obstacles they face on a day to day basis. I hope to provide women with a sense of peace when they read my work and gift them with the realization that they are not alone, and we are all in this together.