This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

During my senior year, when I was deciding on colleges to go to, I remember being a bit disappointed at my options— they were all California State schools. My dream school was Penn State. I had attended a summer program there the summer before my senior year, which made me realize that it was the perfect school to study journalism at. So when I didn’t get in, I was heartbroken. Later, when I realized that I was going to go to San Francisco State, I wasn’t sure how to feel. While I was super excited for college, I wasn’t sure if I had made the correct decision. I was super excited to live in San Francisco. Living in San Francisco had been my dream for as long as I can remember. But the thing that was stopping me was that SFSU was a commuter school. I also thought I’d be getting just an average education, and that making friends would be nearly impossible. But I could not have been more wrong. San Francisco State has a curriculum unlike any other school that I applied to. I have learned more about the world in one class than I have in my entire high school career. This school has given me so much information and has changed the way that I view the world. My major is even specific to just this school, and now I have an even better idea of what I want to do after college. Attending SFSU changed me in so many ways and I can’t  imagine attending any other school.

Bronte Sorotsky

San Francisco

Valerie Duarte

San Francisco

An 18-year-old journalism student at SFSU. Los Angeles native. Very indecisive. Likes to have her cake and matcha lattes, too.