This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

At USD we have it all. Well, almost. Between our great academics, beautiful campus, and amazing student population, there’s something missing: school spirit. A huge part of school spirit comes from supporting our athletic teams, something we definitely don’t have an abundance of across campus. The lack of school spirit is definitely one of the most common complaints heard here at USD, but the good news is that it’s in our hands to change that.

It’s hard to deny there is a huge divide between our athletes and all other students. For the most part, we live in two separate worlds. Don’t get me wrong, I am aware there are definitely a handful of students that are, or have been, involved and experienced both sides of these worlds, including myself, a former student athlete and current member of Greek Life. After experiencing both ends, it’s a shame to say that we aren’t closer and more of a unified student body because there truly are so many incredible people throughout our entire school.

One thing I know we have in common is that we all work hard. Whether that’s twenty hours of studying per week, or twenty hours of training and practicing per week, we all put in great efforts to achieve those good grades or well-deserved wins. I think most of us can agree that when we work so hard to get an A on our tests, we usually want to share it with someone (don’t lie). Whether you text your parents, share your grade with your neighbor in class, or tell your roommate the good news after numerous hours in Copley, we all crave that extra recognition. It’s similar with athletes as well. Athletes put in numerous hours and extensive training so that they can win and represent our school as best as they can. It’s rewarding and exhilarating to get the win, but athletes too desire some of that extra recognition in support from fans. Sometimes after you’ve given all you can give, a rowdy crowd can give you that boost of fuel to push through a tough game for the win. Jianna Bonomi, a senior on the USD volleyball team, spoke personally about how much fans can positively affect her and other players in how “you’re able to do things outside your own belief of your abilities when you have hundreds or thousands of people telling you that you can”.

Some may make excuses to not attend games because our athletic teams are not “that good”. That is not true. Although we are on the smaller spectrum of D1 schools, most of our teams compete extremely well with other high level organizations. More school spirit and a stronger presence of fans would give our teams the energy to push through for the win and make us closer as a student body. I think it’s about time that we come together. Athletes could make the extra effort to support other sports teams and all other students could take that study break or grab a friend to catch a game. Whether it’s on the field, court, in the gym, pool, or wherever, come out and support your peers! 

Just a Texas girl livin' in a sunny San Diego world