sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

October Checklist: 10 Festive Must-Do’s!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

It’s finally time. Time for watching scary movies while cuddling up in a warm blanket-cocoon. Time for carving plump, heavy pumpkins with friends on a crisp fall night. Time for sipping hot apple cider as you watch autumn leaves float through the air like colorful orange birds.

Sounds like October, right? For many of us, the activities listed above have become traditions, traditions that just aren’t feasible in the 70 degree, palm tree covered San Diego. But that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate October a little differently. Here are ten ways to get into an October mood here in sunny, southern California!

1. Set the Mood

Can you see Mission Bay from your window? Maybe. Does this mean you shouldn’t decorate your apartment with fake autumn leaves? Absolutely not. Head over to Target, Michael’s or the Dollar Store and pick up some cute fall décor. Stop by Yankee Candle and pick up a Spiced Pumpkin scented candle. You’d be surprised at how festive you will feel after a little change in atmosphere.

2. Go to a Pumpkin Patch

Yes, we live in San Diego. But there is still an array of places where you can pick out the perfect pumpkin! Check out Pumpkin Station, with locations in Del Mar, Mission Valley, National City, and more. If you can find time to head over, you definitely should!

3. Decorate a Pumpkin

Once you have your pumpkin – whether purchased at Pumpkin Station or at Von’s – get to work! If you live off campus, you can carve your own traditional Jack O Lantern because you probably have a porch to display it. But if you live on campus, try something different like a monogrammed glitter pumpkin courtesy of Pinterest. So cute!

4. Make Mini Pumpkin Pie Rolls

Three ingredients, minimal cooking time, delicious results. Basically what October would taste like. Check out this Buzzfeed Food video for instructions!

5. Watch a Scary Movie…

What is the best way to get in the Halloween spirit? Get scared! Grab your significant other for a romantically jumpy experience, or call up your friends and select your film more democratically.  If you can’t think of any movies, Scream is always a good go-to.

6. … Or Halloweentown

Are you a bit of a scaredy-cat? Substitute whatever scary movie you might watch with Halloweentown or Hocus Pocus. We don’t judge.

7. DIY the Perfect Halloween Costume

Halloween- a girl’s best excuse to wear something ridiculous. Even though it’s possible to wait until 5 PM on October 31 to put together something cute, some killer costumes take a little bit more planning. Pinterest it up and get inspired!

8. Go to a Halloween Party

After all that hard work, you have to display your masterpiece!

9. Or Head to One of These Events

If you don’t want to wait until October 31st to make plans, pick one of these fun events and schedule it ahead of time.

• Old Town’s Fall Festival on October 10th
  • 6th Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest for free at the Pearl Hotel October 27th
  • San Diego Zombie Crawl in Gaslamp on October 31st
  • San Diego Monster Bash on October 31st

10. Drink Hot Apple Cider

Just because it’s 70 degrees outside doesn’t mean you can’t drink something hot. If you’re more of a “basic” type, opt for a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. Such festive drinks are necessities – just try not to drink them when it’s 85 degrees.

And remember, even though it’s a little bit harder to get into the Halloween spirit while sitting under a palm tree, it can be done!

Hi! My name is Sam and I am a senior at UC San Diego! What I love most about San Diego are the beautiful sunsets, the carefree atmosphere, and of course, the beach! I am double majoring in Communication Studies and Political Science with the hope of pursuing a career in marketing! I joined the HerCampus team because I have a passion for writing and I want to share my ideas! Thank you! Email: slpaul@ucsd.edu Instagram: @sammipaul