Meet USD Alpha Phi’s President, Kerri Alvarez!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

Originally from Newport Beach, California, Kerri Alvarez is quite the accomplished, caring, and involved junior at USD with a lot of spirit. From holding an array of leadership positions, to being passionate about serving the community, anyone who has the chance to spend time with this week’s campus cutie definitely should. Let’s get to know a little more about our friend, Kerri!

Her Campus (HC): What is your major?

Kerri Alvarez (KA): I am actually double majoring in accounting and finance!

HC: What are your plans when you graduate?

KA: Hopefully travel a bit then come back to work in a public accounting firm (haha sounds like a boring job, I know).

HC: What is your favorite color?

KA: Turquoise!

HC: What is your favorite hangout spot in San Diego?

KA: Oh definitely going out to the beach to watch the sunset.

HC: Can you share a fun fact or talent of yours?

KA: I was a dancer for 15 years! I performed ballet, jazz, hip-hop and lyrical.

HC: That must be helpful for events such as Greek Week! Speaking of which, what is one of the best parts about being involved in Greek Life at USD?

KA: The best part about being involved in Greek life is seeing all that can be accomplished by young college students when they work together and also the lifelong relationships I’ve developed. My favorite event is Disco Phiver because I love seeing everyone get really into the outfits! And my favorite philanthropy is Red Dress Gala because it is such a rewarding experience to actually raise both money and awareness for such an amazing cause!

HC: Now, you are president of your sorority.  What were some of your previously held leadership positions that prepared you to take on such a big job?

KA: I began as the Junior Panhellenic Delegate and then the following year became the Panhellenic Delegate. I was able to learn a lot about Greek Life through my panhellenic positions, which will also be very beneficial while I serve as Alpha Phi’s president.

HC: What is your community service background?

KA: I helped start a nonprofit organization called HALO, which helped raise money for families with autistic children through a silent auction, dance, and talent show. I also participate in numerous charity events through my sorority such as serving dinner to the homeless at St. Vincent de Paul in Downtown San Diego, donating blood during drives held right here on campus, and finally supporting the Alpha Phi Foundation by helping my sisters raise money at our annual Red Dress Gala that benefits cardiac care; therefore, it is truly a cause close to our hearts!

HC: Do you have favorite quote or saying to share with us?

KA: This John Lennon quote is one of my favs!