Meet Kate Henry: The Woman of the Hour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

Ever heard of the NROTC? The Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps is one of the toughest programs that is offered in our country. One brave woman, Kate Henry, has decided to serve the United States. Attending the University of San Diego, Kate has already had so many amazing accomplishments in her young life. Check it out!

Year: Junior

Hometown: Lincroft, New Jersey

What made you decide to participate in NROTC?

In high school I was a part of NJROTC, which is essentially NROTC but for high school. I thoroughly enjoyed the leadership opportunities offered and I saw myself grow as a person and leader through this program.  As college came closer, I thought of pursuing the U.S. Navy as an option, and through research discovered that NROTC is a pretty good deal. They pay your tuition and room and board, so all you owe in the long term is your service. I’ve always wanted to serve my country and as a Naval Officer I have the opportunity to do so.

What are your plans after college? 

My plans for after college are to be accepted to Naval Flight School in Pensacola, Florida. There I will be going through more training to see if I can make it as an officer in Naval Aviation. I will either stay in the U.S. Navy for the minimum required by Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps or I’ll make it a career; it all depends on my experience in it. I will also be graduating the University of San Diego with a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Studies, so I hope to be able to apply my degree to benefit society. I’ve always had a strong passion for nature and preserving it, so I hope to enact positive change with my degree.

Who has been your biggest inspiration and why? 

My biggest inspirations have to be my parents. They have taught me to work hard and accept nothing less than my 100%. They have encouraged me in all facets of life and I know that they want nothing more than for me to accomplish my goals. Their undying love and support have enabled me to grow into the woman I am today, and I hope that one day I can be that role model for my children.

What are some other activities you partake in? 

I like to lead a busy life at the University of San Diego. The Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps is my number one commitment while at school. It’s essentially my job and I am required to partake in all functions and duties required by the program. These include briefings, physical training exercises, community service, club events, and teaching the underclassmen how to march and wear the uniform. Along with this, I am a member of the USD Women’s Club Soccer Team. We have three practices a week and usually games or tournaments every weekend. Soccer is one of my favorite past-times and I love spending time with my team and playing competitively. I am also a part of the sorority Pi Beta Phi which was recently established at USD. There was a lot of start-up work that goes along with establishing a sorority so that was and will continue to be quite a lot of work. The sisterhood and philanthropic opportunities make it extremely worthwhile though!

How do you balance all of these activities? 

The biggest thing I do to make sure I’m balanced is to not take on more than I can accomplish. So far I have been able to balance everything and I credit that mostly to my passion and love for the clubs or organizations I am a part of. I truly love soccer and therefore the extra work I have to do to make it to practice or games isn’t a chore, I enjoy it. I love being a part of my sorority, so when I have to go to meetings or events I view it as more of a privilege than a duty. Do I like NROTC all the time? No: it’s stressful, demanding, and not always fun. I manage the ups and downs of my life by ensuring that I have things that I love to do as well. 

What would you consider to be your greatest achievement? 

My greatest achievement would have to be my life. I am so happy and thrilled at what I have been able to accomplish and what I will strive to do in the future. I have a wonderful family and amazing friends who constantly make me a better person. How we feel about ourselves and our lives is so instrumental in our success, and I can say that my ability to persevere is due to my positive outlook on life.

Being a woman in NROTC do you feel extra pressure in certain situations? 

I don’t like to divide the military into a male-female discussion because I feel that it only makes adverse feelings rise more. In order to fix the stereotypes and generalizations about women in the military, we need to stop just talking about it and instead take action to fix it. Am I looked at differently because I’m a woman? Yes, that’s just a fact of life. The military is and was a boy’s club for the longest time, but amazing strides by strong women are helping to overcome that. The important thing to realize is that we need to earn our right to be in the boy’s club, not simply whine and ask to be let in. I challenge myself every day to be better than the guys in my unit, because until they see you as a threat or an equal challenge, they will always view you as “the girl in NROTC”. Sure you may anger them or be viewed as “the bitch”, but it’s important to work to change how women are viewed so that these feelings of animosity can become a thing of the past. I have plenty of male friends in NROTC and I credit it to just being a normal, hard-working Midshipman. No one can judge you or call you lesser if you are working harder than everyone else.

What are some obstacles that you had to overcome in order to study abroad while being in NROTC? 

We are strictly held to graduating four years from when we begin college. You cannot deviate from that degree plan unless you can graduate earlier. This has caused me to take a minimum of six classes per semester since I have to fit in USD’s requirements along with NROTC requirements. I worked around my schedule so that I could have this opportunity to study in Panama while still graduating in the Spring of 2017. As long as you budget your time effectively, anyone can study abroad!

What are some things you enjoy doing in your spare time? 

As stated before, my favorite past-time is my club soccer team. I love the girls on the team and the competitive aspect of the sport. Hanging around campus and San Diego with my friends is also necessary to blow off steam and enjoy life with others. Exploring nature is a huge passion of mine, so when I get the chance I love to hike and visit National Parks and “un-plug” from society for a few days. Everyone needs something in their life to de-stress from the demands of school.

What are three adjectives that you would use to describe yourself? 

Loyal, passionate, and determined. I put my friends and family above myself all of the time, and you can be sure that if you’re my friend I will be there for you no matter the time or place. I believe that one must throw themselves whole-heartedly into anything they are a part of. It is just a waste of time to be a part of something that you only put half the effort into. Be a part of something that you could spend all your time on and never regret one minute of it.  I have always been a strong advocate of myself and my abilities. You need to have strong confidence and determination to succeed in the type of environment I see myself getting into. Never let others decide what you are capable of. Set your goals and limits and watch as you leave your opposition in the dust.

Born in the Bay but raised in the A. Give me absurd amounts of pasta and the beach and I will forever be a in a state of bliss.