Explore San Diego on a College Student’s Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

Looking for something to do but your bank account is looking pretty sad? No worries, here is a guide to experiencing the best San Diego has to offer for no cost at all.

1.Beaches

Perhaps the most obvious one, in a city that is basically sunny year round, going to the beach is the perfect weekend get away to destress from the week. Grab your friends and head to one of the numerous beaches in San Diego.

2.Mt. Woodson aka Potato Chip Rock

If you love hiking or are feeling particularly adventurous, Mt. Woodson is the place for you. This one is not for beginners though as the 7 mile hike to the top is very challenging. However, the pictures and the views at Potato Chip Rock are unreal.

3.Museum of Contemporary Art 

Every third Thursday, the museum offers free admission to the public. If you have some time to escape from campus during the week, head over to either the La Jolla or Downtown locations and see the beauty

this place has to offer.

4. Balboa Park

Contained in the nearly 2sqmi park are countless museums, cultural displays, and scenic paths. Depending on the day, some museums may have free admission or a dance troupe may be performing outside.

One of the best things about Balboa Park is that no day is ever exactly the same.

5. Mission Bay Park

If you love petting dogs this is the place for you. This is one of the few dog friendly beaches in San Diego where owners can let their dogs run around without a leash. Be prepared to meet some new four-legged

friends.

6. Old Town

Old Town is definitely known for having the best Mexican food around but if you don’t want to spend any money, there is most definitely something for you. Old Town is full of San Diego’s history and has a

number of attractions that are completely free to view. 

7. Seaport Village

Perhaps my favorite place to go on the weekends. Walk along the oceanside path and you will find a grass area where people are flying their kites, artists displaying their works, and up close views of the marina.

If you have few dollars to spend, there are adorable shops and inexpensive food places like Ben and Jerry’s. Also, if you keep walking far enough, you will see the USS Midway and the famous “Save the Kiss” 

statue. 

Exploring San Diego doesn’t have to be expensive, and with a weekend and some good friends, you can have an amazing, completely free experience.

I feel as though my best attributes are my coffee addiction, my obsession with pastels, but most importantly, my love of puppies. I also adore going to the beach, hugging people, and laughing at my own jokes. You can follow my adventures over at my Instagram @lauren.__xo .