Athletic Campus Celebrity: Canace Finley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

This week`s campus celebrity is transfer volleyball star, Canace Finley! She is a senior English major at USD and just recently recorded 21 kills against conference rivals, Pepperdine University. Her hometown is Fort Collins, CO and she could not be more happy to be a part of our amazing Torero Community!

Her Campus (HC): Why did you choose to transfer to USD?

Canace Finley (CF): I have played at USD for 2 years, and before that I played volleyball for the University of Oregon. I chose to transfer to USD at the end of my sophomore year because the coaches and the team here are incredible, the school is very good academically, and who wouldn’t want to live in San Diego? I am originally from Colorado so the ocean is something I have never lived by before!

HC: What position do you play on the volleyball court?

CF: I am an outside currently, but have also played rightist or opposite during my time here.

HC: How has your volleyball season been going thus far?

CF: Season is going well! Conference also just started and I am very excited to play my senior season.

HC: Who is your next home match against and when?

CF: Our next home match is on Thursday, Oct 15 against Portland at 7:00 pm. Hope to see everyone there!

HC: What is your favorite thing about USD?

CF: My favorite thing about USD is the campus and how beautiful it is, as well the the sunshine.

HC: Where is your favorite place to eat in San Diego?

CF: Brunch is my absolute favorite meal, so I frequent Snooze, Fig Tree Cafe and Olive Cafe on a regular basis.

HC: What do you do in your free time?

CF: In my free time I like to adventure. It’s a little hard during season seeing as we are so busy, but in the spring I enjoy swimming, hiking, and paddle boarding! I also ski but that is something I do in Colorado!

HC: If you could give anyone your top piece of advice, what would it be?

CF: I would just say work as hard as you can and profit as much as you can from the work that you do.

HC: What is your go-to outfit?

CF: My go-to outfit is definitely black skinny jeans, black booties and a cute top.

HC: What is your favorite fall activity?

CF: My biggest fall activity is trick or treating, and even though I am 21 I am planning on going this year!

HC: What is your career goal after you graduate from USD?

CF: After graduating with an English degree, my tentative plan is to play volleyball overseas for a couple of years and then find a job in the publishing industry! Hopefully somewhere in San Francisco or New York.

Thank you Canace! Good luck with the rest of your season! And for all of you Toreros reading this, make sure you stop by upcoming home games in the Jenny Craig Pavilion!!

Thursday, October 15, 2015 vs. Portland at 7:00 pm

Saturday, October 17, 2015 vs. Gonzaga at 12:00 pm

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 vs. San Diego State University at 6:00 pm

Ashlyn is a writer for the Her Campus San Diego Chapter. She is an incoming Freshman at the USD and is originally from Southern Idaho. Some of her hobbies include shopping, hanging with friends, pilates, and traveling.