6 Reasons Why You Should Keep a Journal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

Keeping a journal can seem tedious and time consuming, however, it can be one of the most rewarding activities you can partake in! Take just five minutes out of your day to receive these benefits of recording your thoughts:

1. It gives you time to reflect

Sometimes things happen throughout the day that have a much bigger impact than we can actually tell. Writing down your thoughts allows you to really make sense of all the crazy little details you experienced that day!

2. You can see how you’ve changed over time

The person you are when you start a journal is very likely to change over the course of time when you reach the end of that journal. It could be something as simple as watching yourself grow over the course of a year or four years as you experience different aspects life has to offer.

3. Favorite memories will never be forgotten.

We all have those moments we want to relive over and over again, but unfortunately sometimes they are easy to forget when life takes over. If you write them down in a journal, you will have that amazing memory forever. It’s so much easier to reminisce when you have all the perfect details written right in front of you. Plus, so much happens in our everyday lives that it seems nearly impossible to remember it all (especially crazy nights out with friends!)

4. It’s good to get away from technology

Cutting back on screen time will reduce stress and give your eyes a break from the harsh light and honestly, we are ALL glued to our phone and laptop screens all week. It is so beneficial to take a couple minutes and live in the now by writing thoughts down in a journal.

5. You can fill it up with whatever comes to mind

If you like to draw, draw and if you like to write, write! Fill it with doodles, pictures, notes, scribbles, paragraphs or literally whatever comes to mind. There is no right or wrong formula to keeping a journal.

6. It helps you organize your thoughts

As I mentioned before, there are a crazy amount of things your subconscious mind absorbs throughout the day that you don’t even realize! Writing down what you did or things that stood out help you grow as a person and allow you to make sense of the craziness of the day!

Just your average beach bum that has an obsession with dogs and smiling :)