HC-Sam Houston Review: American Horror Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SHSU chapter.

Everyone has their favorite show. Some are fixated on infamous reality series like Jersey Shore and others share a good laugh with comedies such as Modern Family. However, there is a new show on the channel guide that seems to touch every emotion: American Horror Story. The series revolves around the Harmon family (Ben, Vivien, and daughter Violet) who move across the country to settle family issues. However, as the days pass by in their new house, the Harmon’s realize that the house contains an unsettling past which refuses to be ignored.

The show was created by the same producers as Glee and Nip/Tuck, but American Horror Story offers a much more creative, enthralling approach. The cast contains notable actors and actresses such as Dylan McDermott, Connie Britton, Jessica Lange and Denis O’Hare. AHS is downright riveting, sexy, aggressive, and eerie but leaves the audience wanting more.

Because of the title of the show, many would assume American Horror Story to be scary. And it is, but not in the way you think. Though there are gory scenes and frightening characters, the show ultimately portrays the horrors of modern American society – infidelity, bullying, murder, suicide, etc. AHS has several plots and characters to expose these issues and reveal the real monsters – ourselves.

The series began at the beginning of October, but you can watch entire episodes at http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/ahs to catch up on all of the madness. American Horror Story airs on FX Wednesday nights at 10/9c.

Lauren Hall is a senior English major at Sam Houston State University, minoring in Secondary Education. She considers herself a typical Southern girl, having grown up in the small town of Teague, Texas (pop. 4,500). When she's not busy with school work, Lauren is probably spending time with her large family, her twin sister, and her five best friends, who she has been friends with since preschool. She loves to read, cook, travel, and spend time at her family's lakehouse and at church. After graduation, Lauren plans on getting a job teaching high school English and journalism. She plans to start on her Master's degree as soon as possible, and hopes to eventually teach at the college level.