Winter Deals and Steals in Newport

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salve chapter.

Newport is certainly a popular destination spot during the summer, but the students at Salve Regina University have Newport at their disposal during the chilly winter months. It may seem like the city isn’t as exciting during the winter, but there are actually many opportunities that you can take with your roommates, friends, or even family that may not be available during the busy, crowded summer season. Here are seven discounts and deals that can make a dreary winter day more bright and fun!

Perro Salado
www.perrosalado.com
(401)619-4777
19 Charles Street
Looking to add some spice to a chilly winter evening? Look no farther than Perro Salado, a hip Mexican Restaurant that offers half-price entrees every Tuesday. Its fresh, organic menu offers traditional dishes as well as giving Mexican flair to typical Newport cuisine, such as surf-and-turf served with an avocado salad on the side. If a Sunday lunch with the girls is what you’re looking for, you can also go for its “Diez a Domingo” deal, which offers a $10 menu every Sunday. 

RaNew Salon
www.ranewsalon.com
(401)619-4848
580 Thames Street
Your schedule is probably jam-packed during the school year. Class, your social life, and work are big causes for stress, and you may crave a professional facial and massage to relax and melt your troubles away. Through Yelp.com, RaNew Salon is offering their typically $70 hour-long, customized facial with face, neck, and shoulder massage for only $40. This deal is valid for 1 year after purchase, and is a great way to pamper yourself without the outrageous price!

Mudville Pub
(401)619-4680
8 W. Marlborough
If you’re craving traditional pub dishes, Mudville Pub offers deals that can be taken advantage of daily. Most of the deals, such as “Fried Chicken Sundays” and “Spaghetti and Meatballs Wednesdays,” are offered for only $9.95. If you’re willing to spend $12.95 on Tuesdays, you can have their “Prime Rib Tuesdays” deal. Find Mudville Pub on Facebook to get 50% off appetizers at any time.

Mama Leone’s Pizzeria Restaurante
(401)847-7272
150 Connell Hwy
Nothing seems to be quite as comforting and satisfying than a delicious Italian meal on a cold winter evening. Mama Leone’s offers 50 percent off all pasta dishes when you dine in on Wednesdays. Want your deal to come with a small challenge? Try to beat the clock on Pizza Challenge Mondays, where the time you call is the price you pay for a large cheese pizza – so if you call at 4:02 PM, you only have to pay $4.02 for the pizza! The Pizza Challenge is from 4-9 PM, so even if you call at the last minute your pizza will still be under $9.

The Newport Winter Festival
www.newportwinterfestival.com
Coordinated by:
Marketing & Events, Inc
(401)847-7666
28 Pelham Street
If you want access to a number of discounts and deals, all you need to do is buy a $9 Newport Winter Festival button at various locations around the city. The discounts are available from February 17-26. The button can get you anything from a $15 makeover at Cosmetic Cosmos to 20% off your purchase at Kilwin’s Chocolates & Ice Cream. The full list of button-selling locations and discounts can be found on the festival’s website.

The Red Parrot
www.redparrotrestaurant.com
(401)847-3800
348 Thames Street
The Red Parrot is a popular destination spot for tourists and students alike, but what many people don’t know is that the restaurant offers daily Facebook deals that are too good to pass up. You can enjoy a 99 cent prime rib meal with mashed potatoes, cornbread, and beans with the purchase of any drink, or you can enjoy anything off the menu for half price. Deals are various and are posted daily, so be sure to check frequently. Just remember to tell your waiter the “secret code” from the post when you order!

Newport Skating Center
www.skatenewport.com
(401)846-3018
America’s Cup Avenue
The winter season just isn’t complete without a round of ice skating! The Skating Center offers free ice skating on Mondays and Wednesdays. If you show your Stop & Shop card on Tuesdays, you will be granted a 2-for-1 admission! If you want to enjoy ice skating without worrying about bumping into small children, the Skating Center is open exclusively to adults 18 years or older for $5 every Friday from 9-11 PM.

Emma is a junior majoring in English Communications at Salve Regina University in Newport, RI. Once she graduates, she hopes to work in the magazine industry in either NYC or Boston. At Salve, she is involved in the NCAA Division III Field Hockey, a Vital Studies Program, and the student newspaper. She loves following the newest fashions and having a good time with friends. Her all-time favorite TV show is Gossip Girl. Emma is a huge Boston fan- B's, C's, Pats and Sox! She is excited to begin building her career with Her Campus.