sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 3 Unsolved Murder Mysteries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

There is something about the eerie feeling we get when discussing mysterious tragic events that fuels the internet’s curiosity. Theories accompany these events, many of which are believed to be true in light of the lack of evidence. In lieu of the Halloween season here are 3 unexplainably creepy deaths that have yet to be solved.

1. JonBenet Ramsey

JonBenet was only six years old when she was found dead in her family’s home in Boulder, Colorado on December 25, 1996. She was a beauty pageant queen and her death is considered one of the most gruesome murders in American history. She was reported missing by her parents, John and Patsy Ramsey and just a few hours later was found dead in her parent’s basement along with a suspicious ransom note requesting $118,000 for her safe return. She suffered a blow to the head and was strangled. Police initially believed her death was caused by her mother Patsy or her nine-year-old brother Burke. It was believed the ransom note was staged by her parents to cover up the true circumstances of her death. The fact that the note was written on paper found inside the Ramsey’s home supports this. John Ramsey was cleared as a suspect and Patsy was considered a suspect until she died of ovarian cancer in 2006. Various theories have been created involving this case. One being that the mother, a former beauty queen, was jealous of her daughter’s success, murdered her, and had help covering it up from her husband. Despite the theories, the killer is still unknown and the case remains open in 2016.

2. Elisa Lam

Elisa Lam was found dead in a water tank on the roof of the Cecil Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles on February 19, 2013. Even more horrific, her body wasn’t discovered until guests began complaining about the taste of their water. Before she was discovered in the tank, video footage surfaced of her acting strange in an elevator. She was seen exiting and re-entering the elevator, talking to someone in the hallway and even trying to hide in the elevator. Theorists believe her death involved something paranormal or perhaps her bipolar disorder. The question remains, what would cause someone to take off their clothes, enter a water tank then close it behind them? Here is a link to the video footage. 

3. Elizabeth Short

Elizabeth Short better known as “The Black Dahlia” was found dead on January 15,1947 in Leimert Park, Los Angeles. Saved for last, this case was especially brutal. Her body was completely severed at the waist and drained of blood. Her intestines were neatly tucked under her buttocks and she had various bruises all over her body. Her face was slashed from the corners of her mouth to her ears, similar to the joker. This case received massive amounts of attention in the form of various articles, novels and TV shows. Due to its popularity over fifty men and women confessed to the murder making the case even harder to solve. Her killer was never found.

Anjelique Wilson is a senior at Salisbury University, majoring in Communication arts. She loves musical theater and hopes to obtain a career in the arts. You'll often catch her singing along to musicals and watching her favorite youtubers. She joined her campus to be involved with a platform that allows her to freely express herself