On college campuses, there’s always a party going on somewhere especially around homecoming and Halloween. And with parties comes drinking. While you could have the time of your life at the party, the day after may not be the best experience. Here are a few tips to help you get through the hangover.
HYDRATE! HYDRATE! HYDRATE! Drinking water while drinking is important to lessen the effect it will have on you the next day. But if you happen to not drink water in between your shots then be sure to drink up the next day. It’ll help settle your stomach and also help with that headache. If you don’t want to drink water then try tea, Gatorade or an oral rehydration solution like Pedialyte in severe cases.
- Pre-game with protein! This can help slow down the rate that alcohol metabolizes in your system.
- Eat some food in the morning if you can keep it down. It can have a soothing effect on your stomach just because it won’t be pure alcohol in there. A healthy breakfast with fruit and whole grains is best but in some cases, anything will do.
- If you can’t keep food down or feel nauseous, try sticking around the bathroom to see if anything will come up but don’t force it. Forcing it could actually make you feel worse since your body was not prepared or willing to vomit.
- Attempt getting up and walking around a little to walk around since the higher oxygen levels will increase the rate of the alcohol toxins leaving your body.
- The next best thing you can do is just sleep it off. If you have to be up early then give the above tips a try but sleep is one of the best hangover remedies.
Of course, the best way to not be hungover is to not drink but sometimes it’s hard to resist. So, the most important thing is to drink responsibly and drink with people you trust.