danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Rover, The Side Hustle You’ve Been Looking For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Photo courtesy of Kaitlyn Briselli.

Over the summer, in between hanging out with my friends and going on vacation, it became apparent to me that I needed to be working more to earn more money.

Though I had saved (almost) all my money from my campus job, I could physically feel the impact the summer was having on my bank account. Like a sign from the universe, a family friend called to ask if I’d be willing to dog-sit for a client of hers.

She was already booked and was in desperate need. I said yes and a few days later, two 12-week old St. Bernard’s were invading my home.

Photo courtesy of Kaitlyn Briselli.

After the boys, known fondly as Charlie and Ralfie, left my home and a wonderful check hit my bank account, I wondered how I could keep this up. How can I keep making decent money while still doing something that is full and works with my hours?

The universe must have been eavesdropping because the next day I learned about Rover. Rover is described as “The nation’s largest network of five-star pet sitters and dog walkers.”

The stipulations for joining are simple. You must be 18 years of age or older and must pass a background test. Once that’s complete, you set up your profile with information about you and the prices for your services.

Photos courtesy of Kaitlyn Briselli.

Once you’ve passed your background test, you’ll immediately pop up on the list of local sitters. The more you respond, update your calendar, and book clients the higher you’ll appear.

It should be mentioned that Rover does take a small percent of what you charge but is comparable to any other job you may have. This is something you can account for when setting your service fees if you’re looking to make a certain amount of money.

Photos courtesy of Kaitlyn Briselli.

On the site the services are broken down into five categories: dog boarding, house sitting, drop-in visits, doggy day-care, and dog-waking.

The best part about the service is that you set your own prices and your availabilities. Going out of town isn’t an issue because you can set yourself as away.

Your class schedule makes it impossible to board dogs in your home, but the breaks in between your classes may allow you to do a short drop-in visit to play with a client’s dogs.

Communication is secure as potential clients can call and text you without knowing your real number, and concerns about not being paid is nullified by Rover paying you via PayPal.

Photos courtesy of Kaitlyn Briselli.

Rover is perfect for people like me who enjoy dogs but don’t want the responsibility of owning one. It’s the best side job, since you’re the one that’s in control of everything ranging from how far you’d be willing to go, to how much you charge, the largest size dog you’re willing to take, and the hours you want to work.

So, if you’re a person that enjoys playing with dogs and making money Rover is the perfect side-hustle for you!

Photo courtesy of Kaitlyn Briselli.

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.