Puerto Rico Fighting for Survival After Devastating Hurricanes Destroy the Island

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Despite a lack of coverage in American media, Puerto Rico is still recovering from the devastation caused by Hurricanes Irma and Maria. The cost of damages has reached a staggering $45-95 billion.

Amid a decade long recession, the cost puts a dent in Puerto Rico’s already struggling economy. The island filed for bankruptcy in May, making it especially vulnerable after Maria.

Many are scrambling for food and water amongst the destruction. Lines stretch for miles as residents line up at gas stations for fuel. Flooded streets, destroyed homes, and trees continue to plague the island.

According to NOAA Satellites, 80% of transmission lines have been destroyed, leaving some natives in total darkness and unable to contact their families. Those with power are relying on generators, though it’s unclear how long they will last. Unfortunately, the island lacks the funds and labor to rebuild their electrical infrastructure. This means natives can be without power for 6 months.

Hospitals are unable to provide care due to limited supplies and minimal fuel for its generators. The island is facing a crippling crisis that cannot be rectified on its own budget.

The Trump administration has faced criticism over slow relief efforts. When Trump finally commented on the tragedy five days later, he blamed the devastation on poor leadership. Many have claimed he showed an extreme lack of empathy through a series of tweets focusing on Puerto Rico’s economy rather than the residents’ safety.

Although the island is a territory of the United States, many agree that trump was more attentive in responding to the damages in Texas and Florida. In a conference on Friday, the president commented on the uniqueness of the country’s relief’s efforts stating, “This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water”.

The president will travel to Puerto Rico next Tuesday to survey the damage and reassure critics that he is in fact full of empathy.

Anjelique Wilson is a senior at Salisbury University, majoring in Communication arts. She loves musical theater and hopes to obtain a career in the arts. You'll often catch her singing along to musicals and watching her favorite youtubers. She joined her campus to be involved with a platform that allows her to freely express herself
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.